Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-19-12, 09:17 PM

flyarkansas is on a distinguished road
Turbo System (Oil Leak out of Exhaust)

Greetings Everyone! I just bought a '70 T337E that has kind of been a project in the making. The airplane sat for a couple years before I purchased it. As part of the purchase, the previous owner had his rear engine overhauled. I then had all the components overhauled and new hoses made. I had the new engine installed and ferried it home to start work on the annual and misc mechanical issues that had developed over the few years. I'm nearing the end of having it ready to fly, but I've had one strange development. On the test flight before the ferry, the rear turbo seemed to operate normally; however, it was a rather short flight. On the ride home, the rear turbo never came online.

Fast forward to today, after months of prep we attempted to run the rear engine. While cranking it, we noticed oil slowly streaming out the exhaust pipe. We did not attempt to start the engine because we didn't want any issues. We have rebuilt the turbo oil check valves, all of the turbo system was overhauled 3 hours ago essentially, but I did not have a major oil leak on the ferry trip. The plan tomorrow is to check and see if the scavenge pump is working appropriately since it's a new overhauled engine, but other than that does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for all your help! I enjoy the airplane already and only have got to fly mine 3 hours or so.
Unread 03-04-12, 12:34 PM

Tom is on a distinguished road
If the oil is running out the exhaust. It's probably the center bearing of the turbo itself. Unless...you have a massive leak from an exhaust valve guide. Did you get a yellow tag for the TC it self? If so I would think you would get some warantee work.