Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-06-03, 11:36 PM

Francisco is on a distinguished road
SO how was it at Oshkosh?

My friend Just got back, flew friday before the show. It took him 10 hours at 8500 Feet, fuel burn was 7.2 gph On a 172. The trip there was uneventfull on the way back he had to diviate, plus waited 5 hours in Indiana before he made it home to GPT.

he say the show was awsom?

Francisco
Unread 08-09-03, 08:32 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
GREAT SHOW AS ALWAYS
I WAS THERE ON THURSDAY
ATTENDANCE WAS DOWN BUT REALLY MADE IT NICE
GOOD DISPLAYS
ABOUT 7 O-2'S
SAW ONE 337 COMING INTO OSH WHILE THERE
I LANDED ATW (JERRY'S ADVICE) AND ROAD THE BUS
WORKED OUT GOOD EXCEPT THE 172 THAT TRIED TO LAND IN FRONT OF ME. ALMOST RUINED MY WHOLE DAY. I WAS LESS THAN A 1/4 MILE FINAL WHEN THIS GUY DECIDED TO TURN FINAL IN FRONT OF ME.
WE HAD A HUGE RAIN / THUNDERSTORM AT 1:30 JUST BEFORE THE AIRSHOW. FOUND SHELTER UNDER ONE OF THE PAVILIONS AND THEIR WAS THE COMMANDER OF THE SR71 WING FROM BEALE AFB TALKING ABOUT THE BLACKBIRD. TOOK US ON A AUDIO / VISUAL MISSION IN A SR FROM GROUND TO 85,000 FT AT MACH 3.05 AND BACK DOWN. THAT WAS REALLY A UNPLANNED TREAT. AWESOME PRESENTATION.
OF COURSE ONLY SPENDING ONE DAY THERE I SAW ABOUT 1/3 OF THE DISPLAYS. AIRSHOW FINALLY STARTED ABOUT 4:OO PM
IT WAS GREAT.
Unread 08-09-03, 12:23 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
HERE

August 6, 2003 - EAA President Tom Poberezny called EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2003 one of the best ever, and the figures released this week verify that sentiment.

Estimated attendance was 770,000, up from about 750,000 a year ago. Aircraft on the ground, both at Oshkosh and surrounding airports, numbered approximately 11,000. That included a record 2,960 registered showplanes, 200 more than the previous record.

"I've never seen so many (airplanes) parked at the airport," Poberezny commented.

Other aircraft figures are as follows:

Seaplanes, 129 - the second highest ever registered at the EAA seaplane base.
Warbirds, 405
Ultralights and light planes, 357
Homebuilt, 825
Vintage, 1,224
Approximately 807 exhibitors reported brisk activity and healthy sales in many areas. Overall, 2,249 international visitors came from 68 countries. EAA's camping areas (vehicle and aircraft) welcomed an estimated total of 33,000 campers throughout the week. AirVenture's evening programs also drew well, led by the August 1 appearance by astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first man to set foot on the moon, which attracted upwards of 5,000 attendees.

And it was all held together by the selfless efforts of nearly 5,000 volunteers, who contributed a total of 250,000 hours of service.

Poberezny said these results point to a renewed interest and optimism in aviation's future. He credits EAA's yearlong celebration of the 100th anniversary of powered flight, signs of economic recovery, and other factors like the approaching sport pilot/light-sport aircraft rule.

"This year we wanted to recognize the past with our focus on the Wright brothers and the centennial celebration of powered flight," he said. "We will continue our focus on the Countdown to Kitty Hawk through the December celebration at the Wright brothers memorial in December this year, then switch our attention to EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2004 and launching the second century of flight."

Part of that epic celebration will be the flying of the millionth child in the EAA Young Eagles program, what Poberezny said represented "aviation's future."

Next year's 52nd EAA AirVenture Oshkosh convention is scheduled for July 27 - August 2, 2004.