Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-04-03, 05:52 PM

hewilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Hail damage

There are obviously a lot very well educated and informed people on this site so I thought I might ask another question.

I want a Skymaster some day but need to build hours for the insurance guys so am shopping for a C182. I've been looking at planes with <3000 hrs TTAF and either 1) reasonably new engines eg <500 hrs (high end of my price range) or 2) fairly well tapped out engines (low end). Found one of the latter with "slight hail damage."

My question is, can this effect the function/performance of the control surfaces? My broker doesn't seem to think so and he is an honest guy working for me not the seller. But as in medicine, a second (or more) opinion certainly can't hurt.

Any and all thoughts or comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance. This is a great web site.

Hugh
Unread 08-04-03, 06:28 PM

Francisco is on a distinguished road
Hugh, Were I keep my 336 there is a flight scholl that has 172 on leaseback and has hail damage, I have flown it and flyes smooth and unventfully.

I recommend you have a preflight inspection done.

Good luck

PS. You can be the proud owner of a safer Skymaster for around the same price as a 182

Francisco
Unread 08-04-03, 08:41 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Re hail damage

Hugh

Hail damage should only affect the selling price of the aircraft unless it is extreme. It should not affect the performance.

bob
Unread 08-04-03, 10:26 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
It will have a very significant effect on the saleability, as well as the price, of the aircraft, however. Hail damage is classified as the dreaded "damage history", and it also highly visible damage. When you decide to sell the airplane, you will find a lot of buyers that will just shy away, not even wanting to consider it. Others will want thousands of dollars discounted from book value of the airplane because of the damage.

Also, hail damage is not repairable without huge expense - reskinning portions of the aircraft.

If you buy the airplane, make sure you are prepared for it to be more difficult to sell, and make sure you get a *really* good deal.

If your buyers broker did not tell you this, I am sad to suggest that he is not as good an advisor as you might hope. But I expect he did tell you this, and you are just looking for those "second opinons"....

Kevin
Unread 08-04-03, 11:37 PM

Hail

Francisco, I know and am frustrated by the price of the Skymasters right now. Frustrated that even though I can afford to buy one right now, I can't get insurance so it would just sit there accumulating annual time, hangar time etc. The 182 will be an interim plane. I'm hoping the price of a Skymaster remains affordable while I get some hours.

Kevin, my broker has mentioned that we should push for a discounted price. I think he is up on that. And he isn't pushing me to buy this one. Its just one of several he has brought to me. But I thought it worth considering because it is let's say reasonably priced but I think would need to be a bit lower for the hail damage. He is a long time friend and I helped him significantly with a health problem a few years back. That's just my job and I don't expect anything special in return but he is pretty motivated to try to "return the favor" if you will. I don't really know enough about aviation just yet to judge his skills (though to the extent I can, he seems on the ball) but I feel pretty confident in his sincerity and his motivations.

Is it possible Kevin to post some digital photos of the control surfaces here Kevin and have the guys take a look?

Hugh
Unread 08-05-03, 12:13 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
You can attach a single picture to each post (down at the bottom, where it says "Attach File". If you have two or three, you can do additional posts.

However, I am not certain that folks here are going to be able to help much from pictures, your broker/friend will be able to see and evaluate the damage much better in person. Also, I assume you are getting a prebuy done on the airplane, and the A&P/AI that you use will be able to offer a knowledgeable opinion as well.

Have an A&P that you trust take a look at it for the saftey of flight issues (probably not a problem), and then make an appearance/value decision with your friend. Once the A&P signs off on it, it is really no different than buying a hail damaged car. Some folks would NEVER buy one, others would think it was a steal to get a great car at a low price.

My two cents, my opinion only, and worth less than what you are paying for it: forget about this airplane. There are lots of high-time 182's in the world that you can get a good deal on, especially right now. Why mess with the aggravation that will come later when you go to sell it? (And buy a Skymaster... ;-)

Kevin
Unread 08-05-03, 10:14 PM

To hail or not to hail?

I tend to agree with you Kevin but my broker thinks this might be a good deal. But you know, like Francisco said, I could get a pretty damned nice Skymaster for what I would pay for this 182 and a new engine. [snip, remainder of this message in Insurance Costs thread -kevin]

Hugh

Last edited by kevin : 08-08-03 at 12:01 PM.