Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: hurricane relief
I am interested in the effort 9 100.00%
I could donate a week of my time 6 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-30-05, 06:37 PM

travis is an unknown quantity at this point
hurricane relief

Just out of curiosity are there any Skymaster drivers out there who would be willing to donate there time and aircraft to the relief efforts in the South? I have spoken with AOPA and they are keeping tabs on interest in air support amongst there members. I for one would be willing to take time off work to organize a Skymaster support group. The intent of which would be to transport personnel and/or cargo and provide any close air support that may be needed. I believe that the Skymaster is ideally suited for this type of operation. My goal would be to provide accommodations for all aircraft and crew for the duration of there tour. I do not think that there will be an extended relief effort that will require light aircraft as the military and airlines will be able to commence operations in a relatively short period of time. Pilots and aircraft owners would not be responsible for the cost of fuel during the operation and I believe that any other costs incurred would be tax deductible. If you are interested please leave a post and email me at jayt90@hotmail.com

_travis
Unread 08-31-05, 08:51 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
It would seem to me, that since the airports in NO are under water, that the TFR for Miss and AL are as big as some New England states, that it would be difficult to actually help, unless you had a helicopter.
Unread 08-31-05, 07:04 PM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
Travis, there is an organization specifically set up for this type of catastrophe - HSEATS - Homeland Security Agency Special Air Transportation. I joined through Angel Flight. They were very active after 911 and several trips were made by pilots in my Angel Flight region - Angel Flight South Central. So far, the have not called us.

Louis Armstrong (MSY) Airport in New Orleans is open but only to cargo planes and military aircraft. NEW - Lakefront is still underwater I believe.

Thanks for your efforts. I surely hope some of us can get involved. I am only 2 hours from MSY so would be glad to help.

Jim Rainer
Unread 08-31-05, 07:47 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Airport open

One runway at Louis Armstrong New Orleans Intil airport was open today for Katrina relief flights only. All of it is not under water.

Jerry
N34EC
Unread 08-31-05, 08:23 PM
Web Master

Good news.

Operation Dunkirk

My not so original idea. In May, 1940, Allied forces were up against a wall, in Dunkirk. A flotilla of boats rescued them, and moved them to England.

If OSH can handle 10,000 operations a day, and MSY could handle 10,000 operations a day, then 5,000 familes could be evacuated from LA and MS, to safer places. Communities where they could stay for a month. Places where there is power, water. Airlines are inefficient at moving people to small towns. The military is overloaded.

GA aircraft, like the small boats at Dunkirk, could make a difference. Taking one family at a time to a safer place.
Unread 08-31-05, 11:22 PM
Jim Rainer

Great idea, yours or not! Would really make a difference, but too simple for the US Gov. to approve.
Unread 09-01-05, 07:50 AM
Web Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Rainer
Great idea, yours or not! Would really make a difference, but too simple for the US Gov. to approve.
Well, I always remember Dunkirk, as an example of people banding together. That was the inspiration for my idea. However, with DHS involved, it is far to simple for the US Govt to approve. Also, upon reflection, it would work for the vast majority of people in MS. However, the folks in New Orleans, by and large, are on the dole. That would present it's own problems, significant ones.
Unread 09-01-05, 08:19 AM
Web Master

IT IS UNDERWAY

I read on AVWEB, that a company is organizing an airlift, taking people to Kissimee, FL.
You can call 678-799-1628 for more information.
Their website is http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilies.com/
Unread 09-01-05, 10:19 AM
Jim Rainer

If the DHS would let private pilots organize and coordinate with the National Guard at MSY, we could do wonders. Maybe it'll happen. AvFuel is going to be a problem in that area, though.
Unread 09-02-05, 06:53 PM

travis is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe this is a record numper of posts for the ammount of time on this forum. Thanks to all. I have been in contact with http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilies.com/ They are trying to arrange for funding for fuel. There are several other outfits that are making progress as well. For more info monitor the AOPA web site.

Thanks all

_travis
Unread 09-02-05, 09:28 PM
Web Master

Registering with http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilies.com/ is relatively easy. I hope lots of folks do.
Unread 09-03-05, 09:47 AM

Mark McConaughy is an unknown quantity at this point
Airports, restricted airspace?

Well if I were in a position to help I certainly would. However, some of the concerns expressed just aren’t problems. Remember the Berlin Airlift??

At about 100 to 150 miles, inland airports are available. The trick would be to tanker enough fuel in so you would not need to fuel at MSY. Restricted airspace would not be a problem as if you are part of an organized relief effort you would get clearance. (Sounds like a group from FL already has that underway.) The other possibility would be to move people from Huston and anywhere else where large numbers of evacuees are located to locations where smaller numbers need to be moved. FYI all HUD housing listed for sale by the Federal Government have been pulled off the market to be available for Victims of this disaster.

With my current medical situation, I am not able to help. Nevertheless, I am sure all who could volunteer would be appreciated.

This is one of the most (if not the most) serious natural disaster to strike the USA in this century. Oh and did I mention the flood that followed. This is what many people are not taking into consideration. This is a 2fer, and both of them literally of Biblical per portions. This is the time for GA to show its stuff and an excellent opportunity to help our neighbors in a real time of need.

And for you John Wayne fans, right about now is when the Duke would be tellin ya to "it's time to saddle up. So Get to it."
Unread 09-03-05, 12:35 PM
Keven

I called and spoke with these folks because the registration part of their website was down. They said that they update their site as soon as they get info available, and when they do so, the updating process takes the applicable part of the site down.

It's easy enough to register, and they are gathering support to have fuel supplied by outside sources. Currently, they are looking for twin, 6 seat planes. Many of us will qualify.

If you have the time, it's a very good and necessary cause.

Blue Skies,

Keven
________
Wendie 99

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:15 PM.
Unread 09-03-05, 01:37 PM
Web Master

I registered last night. Their website was up.

Unfortunately, I think with the massive involvement of the FEDS, at this stage of the game I don't think they want a bunch of volunteers.

Last edited by WebMaster : 09-03-05 at 01:45 PM.
Unread 09-03-05, 03:39 PM
Keven

Larry:

That was my thought also, but when I spoke with the organizers today in Atlanta, they said that they had been in contact with Homeland Security for departures from PDK starting today or tomorrow. They are in queue along with others. Go figure! Someone finally making good decisions? What's up with that?

I guess we can just keep checking their website for updates. It was last updated at 2:45 p.m. (eastern) this afternoon.

http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilies.com/

Keven
________
Only4Pleasure

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:15 PM.