Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-03-17, 01:26 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
JPI EDM 960 v edm 760 engine monitor

Have a JPI EDM 760 monitor in my t337c, with ff, oat, etc....has worked well. But at OSH I decided to take the plunge and buy the EDM 860 which has a STC to replace all the engine instruments as primary (goodbye lots 50 year old gauges)...

anyway, one hiccup, so far, is that they were asking how mahy senders I have and said that two in series counts as 1.
I know that our planes have a single gauge per tank, and what shows is determined byt he indent switch (or not) based on which tank you have selected for fuel....but how many senders are there, and are they penny cap?

I reached out to CIES (recommended by JPI to chat with) and they said they are working on an adapter for a SKymaster, but don't have it priced yet.

Does anyone else have the 960? If so, what did you do ont he sender issue?
Unread 08-03-17, 08:29 PM

Kim Geyer is an unknown quantity at this point
I just installed a 930 in our 210. It's only has 2 tanks. The JPI connects to wire that powers the factory gauges. You leave the pennycap control monitors installed. I would think the switch that changes the gauge reading for main to aux would be disconnected because the 960 will show both main and aux tanks. But on the other hand I'm not sure when Cessna started using the pennycap system
Kim

Last edited by Kim Geyer : 08-03-17 at 08:52 PM.
Unread 08-04-17, 06:01 PM

transmitters v senders

Seems like I should just stick with the current stuff and connect it to JPI, similar to what you did in the 210.

JPI is asking me if my current senders are resistance or capacitance....I looked through the SM and it talks about the fact that T337C uses fuel transmitters, then later years use senders.
also unique to T337C is the fact that it uses one gauge per side, and you determine whether you want to see main or aux on it by the microswitch in overhead.

so, not quite sure yet how to answer JPI, and also how this thing really gets connected.
Unread 08-04-17, 09:17 PM

Kim Geyer is an unknown quantity at this point
I looked through through my manual but it doesn't go back to a t337c. By the wiring prints yours should have resistive type probes.
Kim
Unread 08-04-17, 09:51 PM

65-73 CM 337 and T337 (like the T337C)

here is a link to the Sm that covers the T337C. Mine is s/n 337-0775
https://agsi.sharefile.com/d-sd5e1882ac4c4e6da

I believe the fuel system for my plane is referenced on
pg 675 676

looks like the pennycap system came later?

in looking at those two pages (and maybe I am looking at the wrong pages) it talks about a unit and gives a part number for the tank unit...but it doesn't say if it is resistance or capacitance...the really fun part when you read through section 11 on fuel system, it talks about how the 337c and t337c got a different fuel gauage system and used transmitters versus senders, than years before or after....yay
Unread 08-04-17, 09:52 PM

TomeHill79 is on a distinguished road
Insight G4

Has anyone installed the Skymaster Specific Insight G4?
INSIGHT G4 TWIN 3.125 SKYMASTER - 10-06380
Unread 08-11-17, 11:06 AM

Edm 960

just an update:

for now I think I have decided not replace my senders (which in the SM on the C&D model are referred to as transmitters). But for those with a C or D, we have a unique arrangement on fuel quantity it seems (per the manuals). On our models we have three items of note:
- we have a single gauge gauge per engine, even though there are 2 tanks per engine...to determine fuel quantity on aux we hit the microswitch overhead(automatically pushed when you switch selector to aux)
- we have 2 sep tanks per side (later models went to a single tank I understand)
- we have resistive 'transmitters' n each tank to send fuel levels, later models went to senders and the 'penny cap' system

now on to the EDM-960...the T337C is on the STC AML, which is good. they even have specific notes in the regular installation manual that refer to inline thrust twins (yay, we're a real airplane). it seems that you mount the DAU (per engine control unit) on the cold side of each firewall, and then run a single wire to the display head....that will eliminate a lot of wiring to the back engine. it also seems I will be able to get rid of the plumbing from front gauges to back engine around MP/RPM/FF/Oil temp/press
by reusing my EDM-760 probes, and a new harness, I am hoping to save a reasonable amount of time on the install...also trying to combine with annual, so plane will already be all opened up.
will try to post pics once it is all in place (and the progress pics).

JoeP & KristieS at JPI (yep, JoeP is the JP part of JPI) were great at the booth, saying they would make sure I had what I needed, including replacing any of my current probes if needed, new harnesses, etc.

Last edited by rmorris : 08-11-17 at 02:13 PM.
Unread 08-14-17, 10:57 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
The "Transmitters" are resistive type sensors for the fuel tanks. Always thought the JPI or EI full tilt display would be really nice but for the time and money I can think of a lot more panel items I would want instead. The original steam gauges and indicators are livable in my scheme of panel upgrades. That JPI is really cool though

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 08-15-17, 02:28 PM

3 tanks per side

Well I'll be darned...Herb, you must really know your plane

Dug through IPC, and see the attached pics...sure enough, there are two tanks each side that are plumbed together to make up the main tank...so guessing there really are 3 sensors per side....weird design.

anyway, thanks for sharing your expertise !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf t337c serialnumber 337-0775 fuel tank config per IPC.pdf (1.03 MB, 1138 views)
Unread 01-07-18, 09:53 AM

kragby is on a distinguished road
Jpi 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris View Post
Have a JPI EDM 760 monitor in my t337c, with ff, oat, etc...

Does anyone else have the 960? If so, what did you do ont he sender issue?
I'm installing a 960 in a P model and finding some issues with probe placement on the fron engine passenger side. Mine is a G mode pressurized. Wondering if you had the same problem. If so, how was it resolved?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: