Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-07-17, 08:53 PM

tomcomet is on a distinguished road
Where is My Gear Fluid Dipstick??

I spend over 30 minutes searching for my gear oil dipstick and filler. I had the understanding that is was under a small access plate right side by the feet of right seat. There is a hatch there and yes, it opens up with screws revealing hydraulic fittings and the side of the resevior cylinder but no dipstick or filler to be seen.

This is the a 1977 Reims build Skymaster WITH radar pod so my centre console where most folks tell me they have auto pilot and access hatch below is filled with radar screen and such. I am told the dipstick is behind that but how to access???

Here is a photo.

TCClick image for larger version

Name:	209A6946_SM.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1791
Unread 11-07-17, 11:55 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
On my 1973 C337G, the hydraulic oil dipstick and filler port for the landing gear is located on top of the electric hydraulic power pack. The power pack on my plane is located behind a small access door under the center console which is just above the floor of the aircraft. Looking at your photo, if its located in the same place as mine, the access panel should be underneath your radar display screen. The dipstick is small, maybe 2 inches in length. You can add fluid through the same hole that the dipstick is removed from.

Ed
Unread 11-08-17, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edasmus View Post
On my 1973 C337G, the hydraulic oil dipstick and filler port for the landing gear is located on top of the electric hydraulic power pack. The power pack on my plane is located behind a small access door under the center console which is just above the floor of the aircraft. Looking at your photo, if its located in the same place as mine, the access panel should be underneath your radar display screen. The dipstick is small, maybe 2 inches in length. You can add fluid through the same hole that the dipstick is removed from.

Ed
I am pretty sure there is NOT a panel of any kind on that front surface. I wonder if I need to remove the housing around the radar screen. Seems a little extreme...
Unread 11-08-17, 07:33 AM

pilotpat is on a distinguished road
Tom, if able, look down though the gap above the radar unit and below the trim wheel (a light will be needed). At the bottom front roughly in the middle is the top of the dipstick, which on ours is a lever which has to be lifted, then the whole thing pulled straight up (it takes a fair pull). Once out, it has to be cleaned, reinserted, removed, then read. In doing this from the RHS panel opening, you will note that there are multiple pieces of tubing and wiring in the way, and how easy it is to drop the piece into the bowels of the plane. So, if it does not have one already, tie a string to it for retrieval. It may actually be easier the first time to remove the right side pedestal cover (which has the hatch you refer to) where you can then see things a bit better. And no, you can't get at from the front under the radar!
Unread 11-08-17, 07:43 AM

This picture should allow some orientation, note the friction lock at the top. The dipstick is behind my shoulder, and the hatch in the panel (removed) is about where the blue hydraulic fittings are. You have to move your hand though the hatch and a bit aft to get to the dipstick. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hydraulic pp.jpg
Views:	1001
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	1792  
Unread 11-09-17, 05:35 AM

Here's a pic taken looking down through the gap previously mentioned (the "20" is the radar range knob). The brass lever has to be rotated up and the thole thing pulled up and out. There is a hydraulic line to the right exactly in the way; I have to put my thumb under and my fingers over it to be able to reach the level.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hydraulic pp 2.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	1794  
Unread 11-09-17, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpat View Post
Here's a pic taken looking down through the gap previously mentioned (the "20" is the radar range knob). The brass lever has to be rotated up and the thole thing pulled up and out. There is a hydraulic line to the right exactly in the way; I have to put my thumb under and my fingers over it to be able to reach the level.
This is great info Pat. Totally appreciate it. I will have a look tomorrow and report back.

TC
Unread 11-09-17, 08:27 PM

Pat and Ed were correct with their their PIREPs. I took the entire right side lower panel off the radar unit and all was there in plain view. All it required was a good briefing. Sure enough, the fluid was down about 1 teaspoon (glad I bought a gallon...). Still above the line but... Not bad for a 40 year old aircraft with 25 hours of recent hard training flights (at least) since last this was looked at.

Now that I know what to look for and where I think I will be able to get to it from the small side access panel. I took the advice and tied a little rope around the dipstick as it would be all too easy to ruin your day by dropping it in the sump. Helps to find the bloody thing in tight quarters too..!

Here are some photos... Note the safety rope.

Thanks for the help guys!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6590.JPG
Views:	926
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6591.JPG
Views:	935
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6594.JPG
Views:	950
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1797  
Unread 11-10-17, 01:36 AM

Glad you found it! It looks like you have a nice Skymaster there from the pictures you have posted. Enjoy your new to you plane! I will say the maintenance can occasionally be somewhat frustrating but the airplane is simply wonderful to fly! I have and plan to continue to enjoy mine! It's hard to believe it has been 15+ years already.

Good Luck

Ed
Unread 11-10-17, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edasmus View Post
Glad you found it! It looks like you have a nice Skymaster there from the pictures you have posted. Enjoy your new to you plane! I will say the maintenance can occasionally be somewhat frustrating but the airplane is simply wonderful to fly! I have and plan to continue to enjoy mine! It's hard to believe it has been 15+ years already.
I am truly enjoying this airplane. We are very much in our Honeymoon phase of the relationship currently. We did have one big spat (new cylinder) but we got through that and I am looking forward to the relationship.
Unread 11-10-17, 11:20 AM

Just go into it with the understanding that the maintenance will never ever end. What you are experiencing so far is normal. The first year or two will be particularly trying most likely. Keep at it though (read: keep spending the money to get things or keep things right) and the airplane will treat you right!
Unread 11-21-17, 04:42 PM

general is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like you're really enjoying that plane. But that's a good question, I know the answer, as most of the rest of you do that are flying regularly and doing your pre flights. But I don't see anywhere else on the site that shows where the earlier SkyMasters fluid indicator is located on the old power packs. it might be helpful for the new owners. Also discussion about how fun it is to check it
Unread 11-22-17, 11:34 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by general View Post
But I don't see anywhere else on the site that shows where the earlier SkyMasters fluid indicator is located on the old power packs. it might be helpful for the new owners. Also discussion about how fun it is to check it
The pre-1973 Skymasters DO NOT have a dipstick to check the fluid level. The power pack is gear driven pump on the engine, standard on the front engine, option on the rear engine. The hydraulic manifold (power pack) is located above the left foot of the pilot. Cessna decided to incorporate a sight gauge to visually check the hydraulic fluid. Good idea in concept but poor results as you cannot see the fluid level through the sight glass located on the exterior left side just below and in front of the storm window (small operating window at pilots left side). I have never seen a Skymaster which the sight gauge is viewable. If you know of one please speak up.

So the next question is "how does one check the fluid level?" Well my method is at every annual when the gear swing is performed the fluid is topped off from the fill port on the front firewall and when the gear swing is performed any excess fluid will pour overboard through the drain tube near the left front cowl flap. Have a catch basin (bucket) under the drain so that you don't make a mess on the floor. That's how you know it's full. Keep track of how much you put in and how much hit the bucket. Too much difference indicates a leak. Leaks are normally easy to detect as it will be red grease all over the belly. This discovery should pull up some red flags. If the fluid is low, during extreme angles of climb while retracting the gear it will take extra time for the gear to cycle and the gear could stop before it finishes and the pump will be cavitateing or sucking air. This is a good indication the fluid is low.

During the post gear swing flight, you may find additional fluid that drained out the overflow that will be all over the belly. This is probably not a leak so clean it up and keep an eye on it.

Ok, this doesn't really sound like a procedure that would be printed in a maintenance manual or official directions. This how I do it and would love to hear from your experiences.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 11-29-17, 11:28 AM

general is an unknown quantity at this point
Such good information and presented in an excellent way that it will help a lot of new Skymaster owners.
It's a weird thing to check the fluids in the early or Skymaster. Again thanks for the overview for all the new owners

Last edited by general : 11-29-17 at 11:32 AM.
Unread 11-29-17, 02:47 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
1966 A model

Servicing of Hydraulic Power Pack in pre-73 model - Herb is spot on. The maintenance manual calls for you to pump hydraulic fluid into the fill port until it vents overboard. That is the way you know it is full.

My '66 model has no sight gauge (no reference in MM) or dipstick. Just a fill port on the firewall. I service with same pump can I use for bleeding brakes - except with AN fitting on end of hose.

Jeff

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: