Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-13-02, 05:38 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb larry / pic

That is a picture of the Green Turtle Cay Harbour, not Treasure Cay.

If you want to clean the "belly" try that orange waterless hand cleaner. It works very well. Lemon pledge seems to keep the bright stuff bright.

Skyking has a basket full of remedies and products. (Mary Kay stuff doesn't work too well. <G>

BTW I find very little salt deposits of any kind. This trip the winds are light and airport is far enough away not to cause problems.

Who had the cheapest fuel. I got down to 2.50 best case and 3.05 worst case.

fyi

Bob
Unread 05-13-02, 05:54 PM
Keven

Bob:

Lemon Pledge? Are you serious? That's awesome. I actually know how to apply that one correctly without doing 3 hours of research! Sucks being a newbie!

Maybe Skyking and/or Gmas will be kind enough to post a list of other recommended products for cleaning and care. But . . . I don't do Mary Kay.

Keven
________
BMW TECH

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 04:41 PM.
Unread 05-13-02, 06:14 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

What I would use on the bottom for the oil is mineral sprits.... it is the least offensive for paint... good old laundry soap and water if not alkline is good... I use Joy for mine...

You want to check for alkiline content in any thing that you will wash the plane down with... then a good coating of Pledge on the leading surfaces... or waxing the whole plane with it works good...

Murphys soap is another item we use to help clean things up... but, we stay away from the Lac thiners MeK, acatone and others that will craze the plastic or hurt the paint....

some items like simple green will work... but, should be flushed real well with water... and of course the old steam cleaning for the stuborn stuff that just won't come off any other way ... but, be careful of high pressure washers... as the abrasive in the water.. dirt, rocks and small children.... can cut the paint too... so if you have to go to that extream... be very careful... so you don't hurt the paint or the metal...

Fresh water that has no clorox in it... is best for alu... as the alu doesn't get reactive for water... and will protect its self... its the chemicals in it that you have to watch out for... but, water is universal solvent... and will desolve anything...

Rain water is best... providing their is not a steel mill down the road.. smile..

thanks again... for the lift... G.M
Unread 05-13-02, 08:52 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up pictures

Oh, Drats, Bob, you know, it's hard to fly and shoot pictures. You know, shoot the picture, fly the plane, hard to tell which to do next!! Next year, I'm going to get a gunsight camera!

The orange stuff, it doesn't harm the paint and aluminum?
The biggest problem is I don't have running water at the hangar, so I need to clean, then fly in the rain.
Unread 05-13-02, 09:47 PM
N69S

Larry see below.

Oh, Drats, Bob, you know, it's hard to fly and shoot pictures. You know, shoot the picture, fly the plane, hard to tell which to do next!! Next year, I'm going to get a gunsight camera!

1) fly the aeroplane
2) when asked you don't know for sure.
3) respond with "really; who me? when?, are you sure?"
4) transponder OFF, radios OFF.
5) never admit to losing a passenger.

The orange stuff, it doesn't harm the paint and aluminum?

1) wipe it on gently.
2) wipe it off gently.
3) do it again if really bad.
4) polish with pledge.
5) how do you hurt paint with other than a hammer?

The biggest problem is I don't have running water at the hangar, so I need to clean, then fly in the rain.

who? you or the aeroplane?

Remember use lots of soft cloths. I run them thru the washing machine and reuse cotton towels. Works great. The orange hand cleaner comes out of the rags right away. Kerosene works as well but not friendly when you get the stuff in your eyes. The orange hand cleaner doesn't drip. Very little if any residue is left. Try it.....

bob
Unread 05-13-02, 11:38 PM

Don Hickman is an unknown quantity at this point
Bob,

I paid $1.80 for 100LL at Okochobee.

Don
Unread 05-14-02, 12:39 AM
N69S

Smile Don and fuel cost

Don

you WIN!

Bob
Unread 09-27-06, 08:43 PM
Keven

Times Have Changed!

Folks:

Is this thread a blast from the past or what? I was perusing old posts containing the word "headset" to see if anyone ever spoke about whether the P model was much quieter than the normally aspirated model. With that search, I came upon this thread.

Wow!

Fuel for $1.80 a gallon?
Simplicity of orange hand cleaner and lemon pledge?
It was a kinder, gentler time . . . .

Those were the good ole days!

Now, back to my original question when searching this thread. For those of you who have time in both P and normally aspirated models -- are P models significantly quieter than normally aspirated models at altitude? How about efficiency?

I normally fly my 337A at around 10K at 55-60% power, 17-18 gph, and 150kts. It's pretty darn quiet -- and, IMHO, pretty decent fuel efficiency.

Yes . . . I'm still looking at P models. How do they compare to my standard flight profile? Noise, speed, fuel burn, other characteristics?

Thanks in advance,

Keven
________
Zoloft lawsuits

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:21 PM.
Unread 09-27-06, 09:27 PM
Web Master

I remember that trip OH so well.
Thanks for reminding us, Keven. Yeah, fuel at 1.80, I think I paid 2.50, at BNA, and thought it was high. My how times have changed. Tamimambi (sp??) was the first time I had pulled up to a pump and did it myself.

back to your question. I have ridden in Jerry's Skymaster, and it is quiet. Not up real high though. His exhaust sounds different. Now, if you come Michigan, I'll bet he'll take you and Allie for a ride.

Last edited by WebMaster : 09-27-06 at 09:51 PM.
Unread 09-27-06, 10:45 PM

Don Hickman is an unknown quantity at this point
For Keven

Keven,

I've tried emailing you and it bounces. So guess my addressbook is out of date. Send me an email so I can reply.
Unread 09-27-06, 10:57 PM
Keven

Don

Don:

I was wondering why you didn't write anymore . . . .

E-mail me at kkenison@conlaw.com and kkenison@charter.net I'll get one or both of them. My cell number is 864.363.8667. Feel free to call me anytime.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Keven
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:21 PM.
Unread 09-28-06, 12:34 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Having owned both, I can tell you that a P337 is significantly quieter at all altitudes. But it is still noisy, just a dull roar. I fly my airplanes at 60-65% power. My 337 (not even an A, just a 337, 1965) burned about what you are quoting at 65% power, leaned with a multiprobe EGT (dare I type these words) 50 degree rich of peak on the first cylinder to peak.

My P337 burned about 23 with the same power setting, BUT, the p337 was going 20 knots faster.

I never regretted getting my P for a second. I flew it high, even on short trips (like 12,000') where the air was cooler and there is almost no traffic except us and old King Airs...

If you can find my old P337, it already knows the way to Key West, the Bahamas, the Caymans,... :-)

Kevin
Unread 09-28-06, 06:41 AM
Web Master

some folks we might recognize
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jerrykeven.jpg (93.8 KB, 886 views)
Unread 09-28-06, 05:17 PM

kmack3211 is an unknown quantity at this point
P337 vs Normal 337 Noise

I have had both and would say the P model is a little less noisey in the cabin than the normally aspirated models. However, I found the P model to be very hot in the cabin unless you were flying high. I'm told that having inter-coolers makes alot of difference. Just a thought.
Unread 09-28-06, 10:57 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Hey Kmack, Union Pier, MI?
Come join us for some 337 MI Flying

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years