Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 08-05-03, 10:14 PM

hewilson is an unknown quantity at this point
To hail or not to hail?

[snip, remainder of this message in Hail Damage thread -Kevin]

Any chance Scott Smith could get a new pilot insured in a Skymaster? What about a 336...fixed gear and all. A pipe dream I suppose but I just thought it might be worth checking with him.

Hugh

Last edited by kevin : 08-08-03 at 11:57 AM.
Unread 08-06-03, 11:42 PM

OSCARDEUCE is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

I am low time 150 hours total with 50 hours in my O2-A and my insurance is about $3000/ year through Aviation insurance Managers
Unread 08-07-03, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Oscardeuce, do you have IFR, do they require every year or two simulator or other training (aside from the FAA biennial)? If the answer to both is NO, can you give us their phone number?

Ernie
Unread 08-07-03, 05:01 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
You might consider that the high quote you first got for insurance was for a "P" model and that was the major reason.

If you buy a normally-aspirated plane you should be able to get insurance reasonably (given what reasonable means for anything in today's markets). You should ask Skysmith to give you a quote for a diff. aircraft that isn't pressurized and I think you'd be surprised.
Unread 08-07-03, 05:02 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
BTW, I saw a nice 1972 normally-aspirated model that was very well equipped and had de-ice and hot prop, even - for $90K on the ASO.COM (Aircraft Shopper Online) - out of Caldwell, Idaho. Engine times were not bad, either (fairly low on one and 980 on the other).
Unread 08-08-03, 10:16 AM

insurance

1. No IFR rating
2. no specific sim time
I found an instructor with 1500 plus in O2-A, was good enough for them.
I get lots of input from military O2-A pilots from Viet Nam.
Aviation Isurance Managers Inc
Steve Neeley
330 494 1500
1 800 827 4554
Of to the Airshow!!
Tom
Unread 08-08-03, 07:20 PM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Up in Canada you can go thru COPA for a reduced rate. Can you go thru AOPA in the US??????

Frank
Unread 08-10-03, 08:29 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
What to look for when buying a Skymaster

This thread will be used to create a FAQ on what to look when purchasing a Skymaster. Please contribute every tip you have time to share, and I will move the information to a FAQ section on this site. All information will be credited to you, unless you indicate you would prefer to be anonymous. If you do want to make anonymous contributions, please send them to webmaster@337skymaster.com.

Thanks!

Kevin

Last edited by kevin : 08-10-03 at 11:27 PM.
Unread 08-15-03, 09:16 AM

Dave T. is an unknown quantity at this point
Now that I think I have an idea what it may cost to maintain one I need to get a handle on insurance costs. I called the agent who insures my other airplane and is VERY reasonable for that plane. His "ballpark" quote seems a little high to me.

ATP
10,000 hours
7,500 - 8,000 multi
2 hours in 337
no accident or violations
hypothetical airplane: normally aspirated 337 worth $125,000.

Their ballpark quote without having a specific N # was $3200.

Is this what others have experienced?

Dave
Unread 08-15-03, 11:40 AM

Dave,
Seems close to me I insure my hull for a bit less, but have fewer hours.
Tom
Unread 08-26-03, 02:22 AM

Pre-purchase book

Kevin,

I'm sure you've followed the discussions I've had re. the possibilty of a Skymaster purchase early in my aviation career. I have yet to make a hard and fast decision but am leaning toward doing it.

I'm thinking I'll get my private at roughly 65 hrs. If I then get a high performance and a complex endorsement, I'm then near 100 hrs. Throw in some C182 rental hrs and I certainly will be. If I then get a Skymaster, any insurance company is likely going to require 25 hrs of dual instruction in type. Well the ME rating (and I realize that is with CLT limitation if I do it in the Skymaster) will take 10-15 of those anyway. If that all works out, I'd be a rated, insured owner in the 125 - 150 hrs. range.

I know there are some who would disagree with that approach but in thinking about my motivations for learning to fly in the first place and what my mission will be, I think it would be the way to go for me. Let's put it this way, it is what I want to do. The only question remaining is will I listen to those who advise against such an approach. There many knowledgeable people in that group so I'm not yet certain. But while the thought gestates, I can continue to educate myself.

That having been said, I recall seeing a reference here before to a book on the subject of buying a Skymaster but I can't seem to find the thread. Would you be able to direct me to the book? Thanks.

Hugh
Unread 08-26-03, 02:42 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
The only book I am aware of that is specifically about buying a Skymaster is from Scott Smith of SkySmith, Inc. I went and pulled the text description from his site:

"How to buy a used Skymaster" book - This book was complied and written by Scott “Sky” Smith. The book includes all of the Skymaster specifications as taken from the Cessna Skymaster type certificates. It includes three view drawings, pictures and performance specifications representative of each of the different models of the Cessna Skymaster produced. There are addition sections about Airworthiness Directives, STC’s and more. All this information for $40.00 plus $5.00 shipping and handling.

To purchase, you can email Scott at sales@skysmith.com.

For my two cents (we all have them here), I think your plan sounds like a good one. Enjoy!

Kevin
Unread 08-27-03, 06:11 PM

Thanks

Thanks Kevin. Ordered the book. Perhaps I'll have something substantive to add to the thread after I read it.

Hugh
Unread 10-27-03, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Kevin:

Since I don't see many postings on this thread and I can't find the FAQ for buyers which you were planning, I wanted to point prospective buyers to the existing page in Peter's website which deals with this topic.

It can be found at www.skymaster.org.uk/purchase.asp and it is a depository of information gathered over the years from savvy Skymaster owners to the typical questions asked by prospective buyers (why buy a Skymaster over other aircraft, what are yearly operating costs, are they harder/costlier to maintain, what model Skymaster should I buy, what to look for in a pre-purchase inspection, etc.). My quick, recent review of it suggests to me that the info here is relatively current.

Ernie
Unread 11-19-03, 10:37 AM

Richard K is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not sure I understand the "self-insured" statement.
If you have a note on the aircraft at the bank, don't they require you to have insurance to cover the loan amount?

Thanks,
Rich

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: