Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-29-04, 06:43 PM

Rickskymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Slips

I have been flying my 76 non-turbo for over two years and 300 hours.
I have gone thru the POH and can find nothing on slips, one way or another.
I started using slips as a way to slow to vref speed on final and find it a very satisfactory manuver.
Also, I sometimes slip one way and then the other and do so rather quickly and abruptly, on rare occasions. I wondered if this puts to much stress on the booms and/or tail.
Any thoughts appreciated.....

Rick
Unread 05-31-04, 08:37 AM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
I have used slips aggressively when I've had to lose altitude quickly on an approach and in doing airwork. I've always been way below maneuvering speed. I doubt there is any dangerous stress from these actions unless there are stop-to-stop abrupt control movements. The plane seems to be very comfortable in this mode. I've initiated them full dirty (gear and full flaps) and clean control is always very positive. I am no aeronautical expert, however, but I am very comfortable with slips. Note: in a left side slip the pitot tube is partially blanked out so the airspeed indicator is erroneous (very low) and may cause one to be a little anxious.

I fly between 7,000 and 10,000 usually at 2400 to 2450 and FT. I've also spent a good bit of time in the Rockies. I don't know the 2 engine service ceiling but I've tried signle engine similated service ceiling and it held 12,500 lightly loaded easily with the rear engine at zero thrust (estimated by CFII and me because the POH doesn't go up this high.) I've flown easily at 15,500, again fairly lightly loaded but in hot July.

Jim
Unread 06-01-04, 07:17 PM

Nick Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Slips

I just became proud owner of 75 NA 337G N5222T and when getting International ferry permit, by chance talked to an old O-2 pilot working for the FAA. He flew 2 years in Vietnam and said he never flew the O-2 straight, but always in a full rudder slip when they started shooting at him. Since they were always trying to lead hin (in front of the nose) he always tried to fly sideways. When the tracers started to get closer, he would slam full rudder to the other side. He asked me if they flew OK straight. Also said he flew more on one engine than 2 as one was always getting shot up. He was always amazed at how much abuse the O-2 would take and just keep flying.
Unread 06-05-04, 01:08 PM

OSCARDEUCE is an unknown quantity at this point
You must have talked to the same O2 driver as me. He never flew coordinated either. I seem to remember slips being prohibited in the POH I will have to check that out. Is there an aerodynamic difference between slips and uncoordinated flight as relates to airframe stress? Any engineers out there.