Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 07-08-15, 02:28 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
exhaust-ing

About 4 weeks back I had a very, veery small crack in the exhaust of my t337c. Taking the pipe off to see if we could get it repaired locally, the beaded ring under clamp showed great wear and a piece broke off....so took off the entire system for inspection. Overall everything looked pretty good, but Acorn in CA convinced me to send it all in for better inspection and to ensure a good fit for the repaired piece at least. They said, and I quote "send it via 2-day air to us, and you'll be back flying by next weekend"....that was a month ago. in the meantime they naturally found my entire exhaust not acceptable and after 6K finally returned my 'repaired' exhaust to me yesterday (did I mention it has been over a month now?)...went to put it on last night, and the fit is horrible. See pics. this morning I sent them link to pics and asked wth? it took 3 hours to get a phone call back. So far not an Acorn fan.

question I have for others with T-models...see the pic where the collector and elbow coming up from turbo are so far off? I am concerned not just with the huge gap, which they say they will look at and fix, but at the extreme angle in which they meet up. Roy at acorn tells me that huge angle is normal for our planes, and that they never meet up at a perfect angle...really? That huge of an angle for the tow pieces to meet. anyone got pics of their exahust in that area they can share?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LHcollectornotfit.pdf (246.1 KB, 901 views)
File Type: pdf LHcollectornotfit2.pdf (227.9 KB, 922 views)
File Type: pdf bypassnotfit.pdf (211.9 KB, 883 views)
Unread 07-08-15, 03:38 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Robert
It doesn't look right to me. I can't see how that is going to mate up. I have not dealt with Acorn but have seen their ads in places. Too bad you could not have them disassemble and then put it back on. These guys always pass the buck. Your luck in maintenance shops has been less than normal. Sorry to hear........

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 07-09-15, 10:02 AM

exhaust pics

Anyone with a turbo model got any pics of their rear exhaust, specifically the left hand side (pilot side)?
Unread 07-09-15, 10:40 AM

JamesC is on a distinguished road
Just eyeballing the set up – does it fit better if you rotate the collector 180° about the vertical axis and reinstall it? If the exhaust is fresh you should be able to easily rotate all the slip fittings to adjust/adapt angles slightly…
Unread 07-09-15, 10:56 AM

tried all kinds of yoga

good thought, we had it too...we tried all kinds of different combinations, thinking maybe they had just shipped the header pipes to us in the wrong spots...so we tried different combinations of those, and of course the collector in both ways.
We had anti-sieve applied, so was time consuming but pretty straight forward to pull back down and re-try different combinations.
The entire stack, no with my controller bracket, were shipped back P1 last night....they are suppose to throw back on their jig today and try to figure out. I was hoping for some pics form other T-model installs to give them more reference, especially around the collector meeting that elbow....I am concerned that they will just rais it enough to meet, but it will still be at that steep angle which seems odd to me...but i could be wrong.
Unread 07-09-15, 11:46 AM

My T-model is in another city but will try to get some images.
Unread 07-09-15, 01:15 PM

Mine is a 1979 so is different but still there are no angles into the turbo inlet only curves.

Unrelated you will notice a crimped off line in the top left - goes off the upper deck to the pressurized mag - received the inline filter so line is about to be re-connected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_4-3.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	1597  
Unread 07-09-15, 03:28 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
from the parts manual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version