Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 08-11-02, 10:41 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Question IO 360 G (1500Hrs. since new, 1977)

Question guy's. My 77 337 G's front engine is the original just into the 1500 hrs running great (knock on wood) however it has not been trouble free either. (2) alternator failures, the shaft both times sheared where it exits the alternator body. I am not sure if it isn't something I induced. Have one of them fancy gauges that tell all, which alternator is or is not doing any work. I would shut down the one that was working to make the one not working work. Maybe not the thing to do. The last one that failed was replaced was a new one. A closer look at the last one to fail looked as thou the machineing was not radius', just a machined turning and then stoped, that is where it sheared. I don't do that any more and have the (2) alternators balanced closely. the first one to fail or stop any out put was a disaster. The drive gear on the alternator to the cam gear damaged the cam gear. needless to say what had to be done. My suggestion here would be to land as soon as a sutable field is available to see if the shaft is still in tact. One can reach in on the non turbo's and check the fan and see if it is still connected or if it has sheared. Back to the engine. It is using about one qt. the first 10 hrs. then increases slightly to (8) and then to (7) then changed at about (30) hrs. Oil analyses are fine. Think I should just press on???? Its (25) years old and I have had it about (11) years. Guy Paris....

Last edited by Guy Paris : 08-17-02 at 02:16 PM.