Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 07-23-07, 05:36 PM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Simply AMAZING

I can't stop drooling. Check this out - finally afforable PFD's and MFD's by Aspen Avionics. For around $4,000 you can get a cool glass panel, and work your way up via modular additions.
http://www.aspenavionics.com/
Unread 07-24-07, 08:58 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I spoke with the owner last year at OSH. Very nice guy and really innovative with their line of equipment. Last year he was pushing the VSI replacement unit and told me that he was moving forward with EFIS type units. I will be checking his toys out on Friday at the show. I'll let you know what I find out.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 07-24-07, 11:09 PM

Thanks! I'd love to hear every last detail. What I am interested in, are the following:
1. Is it already IFR certified? If not, will it be?
2. Are the 337's listed on the STC's?
3. Does it use an external source for its GPS, and/or flight planning (eg. Garmin 350)?
4. How does the weather package work? XM? (Which means another subscription)
5. How does the TAS work, or does one need an external TAS unit to suck the info from? Which antennas to use, if any?
6. Can one download and display Hi/Lo charts, approach plates and SafeTaxi charts on the MFD?
7. If one has 2 MFD's (a 1000 and a 500), can the 500 be used as a monitor for the new L3 IRIS (FLIR)?
Unread 07-25-07, 10:35 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by gkey
Thanks! I'd love to hear every last detail. What I am interested in, are the following:

7. If one has 2 MFD's (a 1000 and a 500), can the 500 be used as a monitor for the new L3 IRIS (FLIR)?
What would be most interesting is what is the status of L-3's Smart Deck, which some folks thought would be announced at OSH. Probably not, because certification is expected in 2008, and they wouldn't want to hinder the sales.
Unread 07-25-07, 07:18 PM

My personal feeling is that the "500" MFD in a trio glass package will NOT be able to be used as a monitor for IRIS. The screen is upright, portrait style, and I think the IRIS would better project on a horizonal screen, landscape style.

This means that I will have to look further for a screen that I can fit into my centre stack (as that is where I think it should be), but this screen should not be any wider than the usual centre stack equipment. On L3's web site, I think they show a Bendix/King as monitor, but I am very unfamiliar with B/Kings. Is it maybe possible to have one's Garmin 530 double up as display unit?
Unread 07-26-07, 12:25 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
I looked at their web site. I didn't see anyting less than $5k, but more like $10k for what you really want/need. Handheld GPS with all the displays (flight, map, etc) is still a best buy for me.
Unread 07-28-07, 10:55 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
The Best At Oshkosh

Aspen Avionics has to be the best equipment I saw at Oshkosh. I think Larry will agree that these guys have got a winner. This unit is very well thought out. It is totally a build on, step by step, glass cockpit. The PDF is first. Remove your AI and the DG and replace it with a 7" x 3.5" panel that gives you a true PDF. You have to leave the Airspeed, Turn and Bank, Altimeter, and VSI as back up to be legal. The next step is the MFD which is exactly the same unit with different function. It mounts right next to the PDF. Then the last step is another MFD that has back up Primary instruments. Whalaa, you now have total glass. What's cool is the interface, it does have to have a cerified GPS to drive it for IFR operations. It also couples to the ARC 400 A/P. In approach mode all the info is on the ADI for less searching. It automatically calculates TAS and graphically shows wind direction and speed. Shows the active waypoint info from the GPS, you can get the slaved HSI version (sweet), has altitude alert and all for less than an analog HSI would cost.

The basic first step is $6K! That's it. Start out with the HSI and it's up to $10K. Glass panel PFD with HSI for $10K. Pinch me I must be dreaming. After you have the first step then when you are ready go get step two and do what ever you want for your MDF. The unit has a SD card reader for creating each unit what you want to have. Terrain, traffic, weather, situational awareness. Unreal.

Other than sitting in the left seat of the Epic LT turbine this was the highlight of the Airventure trip. Check out the website for Aspen Avionics above on GKEY message.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 07-29-07, 07:14 AM
Web Master

I would agree with Herb, the panel is simply amazing. I got a quote for installing a new HSI, and it was over 15K, and here's a glass panel, with HSI for less than 10K.

The Epic was amazing, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lt.jpg (108.3 KB, 1279 views)
Unread 07-29-07, 01:27 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Excuse me Sir, please don't touch the turbo prop.
Unread 07-29-07, 01:45 PM
Web Master

Ok.
Look Ma, no prop!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jet.jpg (108.3 KB, 1235 views)
Unread 07-30-07, 04:22 PM

I still want to know, before I buy:
1. Are these units truely IFR certifiable?
2. Do they have STC for Cessna 337's?

I sent them a bunch of questions (these ones and others), but apparently they have been extremely busy - no reply yet.
Unread 07-30-07, 07:27 PM
Web Master

They said at OSH that they will be IFR certifiable. They said they will be developing STC's. Since they are not yet certified, expecting to be able to start shipping in November, neither of those statements are currently correct. I would imagine that there will be some field approvals before there are STC's.