Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 04-14-08, 03:09 PM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Crm2120

The new Xerion AuRACLE twin engine monitor has been announced at Sun-n-Fun this weekend. It's called a CRM (Cockpit Resource Management System), and is the first unit on the market meant to be a primary replacement for all those inaccurate engine instruments, fuel gauges and P's & T's.
http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,...244292145.aspx
What do you think?
Unread 04-14-08, 07:46 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Avweb had a piece on it, and it looks like really good. It's actually 2 panels, and replace fuel gages as well.
Finally something for us twin owners.
Unread 04-14-08, 11:08 PM

Exactly. I got really fed up with my fuel gauges not working. Lately, my Oil Temp is also fluctuating - being told the little spring inside the gauge is on its way out.

So, about 6 months ago, I wrote a letter to Xerion and asked them if they would be coming out with a twin engine monitor similar to the single engine monitor. I became very interested when Eric Hathaway wrote me that they were in fact in the process of finalizing their twin engine monitor, and it would be a PRIMARY REPLACEMENT for all those faulty gauges in the right panel. So interested that I bought one there and then, once he answered a few key questions about STC's TSO's and such. The 337's WILL be on the AML list, I was assured.

But alas, it will have to stay in the box for a while once it arrives. The CRM2120 has to talk to a GPS (and I'm not too sure, maybe an altitude encoder as well), but the point is I want to change out my centre stack from King Silver Crown to all-Garmin. To not revisit any jobs, it is neccessary to first do the centre stack, and then add the CRM2120. I will have to cut a whole new right panel to acommodate the CRM2120 and the backup "steam" gauges.

Let the transition to glass begin!!
Unread 04-15-08, 08:30 PM
Web Master

There is an interesting article, about the transition to Glass. Seems you could stay with King, get the "Glass" GPS/Nav/Comm, and get the GPS PFD, all from King.
Unread 04-15-08, 09:03 PM

I'm listening....?
I'm always open to new ideas. I've always been a Garmin fan, by default, I guess. All my previous planes had Garmin. No clue what's happening in the King camp. Simply 'believed' Garmin was better...and now I have a plane with King Silver Frown (err...Crown).

What would you recommend form the King line to counter the following:
Garmin 530W
Garmin SL30
Garmin GTX 330S
Unread 04-16-08, 07:02 AM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
I went through a lot of similar thinking a couple of years ago (actually is was 5 or 6 years ago - time flies) and went for a Garmin & King solution.

The reason for this note is to point out that you can jam a lot into the radio stack if you think about it. I think the best answer is a mix of both Garmin 530 & 430 with a bit of King thrown in for good luck.

From top to bottom I got an audio panel, a 530, a 430, a mode S transponder and a King ADF in the radio stack and replaced the old marker beacon unit with a DME display.

Why the ADF? I grew up with them and there are still quite a few ADF/DME only approaches here in Europe. There is also very slow up take in GPS approaches. You can also listen to the radio as well. The DME is likely over kill, but it did clean up the panel and was not very costly.

FYI - there are pretty good deals to be had if you are willing to get second hand.

The 530/430 combination allows great flexibility while flying IFR. I normal display the storm scope output on the 530 in map mode and run the 430 in HSI mode.

I have also done some flying recently behind a G1000 panel and it is pretty neat as well.

My two cents worth.

Blue skies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	337 panel.JPG
Views:	1034
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	573  
Unread 04-16-08, 01:23 PM
Web Master

Xerion will be attending the SOAPA 2008 fly in, in Kalamazoo. They will be here on Friday, to talk about and demonstrate the CRM2120.
Unread 04-16-08, 04:04 PM
Web Master

Bendix King has announced their KSN770 GPS/Nav/Comm/ILS MFD (traffic, Taws, Radar), and I would think that would drive the CRM2120. They also have the KFD840 PFD, which is a competitor to the Aspen PFD display. I have no idea what pricing is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ksn770.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	576   Click image for larger version

Name:	kfd840.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	577  
Unread 04-20-08, 10:57 AM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
Panel

I looked at a variety of panel configs and believe that perhaps the 530 and 430 are a bit of overkill for the money. I kept one KX155, and jacked it to my existing CDI with GS, with my DME. I put a 530 on top, plus a GPSS roll steering interface, plus a Garmin TIS xponder which they assured us is upgradeable to ADSB. Hooked the TIS to the 530 for traffic.

Then put a 496 on the glare shield which has the internal XM weather and music. This also gives me runway diagrams, which I don't believe are yet available on the 530/430, and for a lot less money. Plus money saved on the 530/430 weather interface add on.

I have heard that the 596 may have approach chart view coming, so it might be worth it to wait for that. By using a 396/496/596....vs a 2nd 530 or 430 you get constantly updated technology for a lot less money and hassle vs a 2nd certified GPS, and you can usually sell your previous portable for 60% ot the original buy in. As long as you keep an existing radio in your panel you are then totally covered, with constantly new technology for only a $1000+/- every couple of years for Garmins (or whomevers) then latest best technology.

Just my thoughts on it