Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 04-07-07, 07:09 PM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Landing speeds

Can anyone tell me how much the Horton STOL kit changes the landing speed? When I fly by the POH numbers, there is still a tendency to balloon with flare.
Unread 04-08-07, 06:07 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
The Horton flight suppliment, suggest that you go out and see for yourself at what speed it will stall at, and gives no hard numbers other than it is better than standard configuration.

What I have experienced is that the aircraft will not stall at all with the Horton. Because the elevator runs out of authority before the wings break. So all I can ever get is a 500ft/min rate of descent at about 35mph.

Good luck.
Unread 04-08-07, 07:37 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
P337G

I have a 1975 P337G. The POH states gear can come down at 160 MPH and below. 1st degree of flap at 160 MPH, 2nd degree of flaps at or below 140 MPH and full flap at or below 120 MPH. Been doing it this way for years.

My plane is equipped with spoilers and thus I am not too concerned about shock cooling since I generally leave engine setting the same as I descend.

Jerry
Unread 04-08-07, 10:24 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
While looking for my Horton Stol info I came across this Robertson Brochure. Remember the Robertson had the flapperons so the numbers are a little better than the Horton.

I was trying to attach the brochure but it won't work???? Tried PDF and JPG no attachment

I fly my Horton equipped 337 across the fence at about 85 MPH indicated, Full flaps, and trimmed up all the way (remember that full flaps allows more trim than 1/3 or 1/2 flaps so be sure to trim after you have applied the full flaps)

This usually brings the flare in around 80 MPH and wheels squeak at about 70 - 75 MPH. My stall horn squeaks at about 75 MPH so I normally hear the chirp as I make a normal landing.

I fly a TwinCo also and it just amazes me how difficult it is to squeak one on with that machine compared to the 337 which I can kiss the pavement almost 99.99% of the time.

On the Horton brochure it indicates that the approach speed of the 337 was 60 MPH IAS.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 04-08-07 at 10:45 PM.
Unread 04-09-07, 12:44 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, you want landing numbers. I fly the downwind at 100mph - 1/3 flaps, base at 90mph - 2/3 flaps, and final at 80mph full flaps, with the Horton STOL kit. It works so well. But I caution you not to slow below 80mph until in ground effect.

Also, I usually slow below 90 mph to drop the gear -- to reduce stress on the clam doors -- beleive me, most have cracks.