Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-23-07, 12:14 PM

badboy82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cabin Door Lift Assist

New to this form, I have a customer that has broke is lift assist and wants to change it out and install a gas spring such as you see on SUV back glass doors. Has anyone done this and if so could you share your info with me. I think it can be done and have looked at the McMaster-carr web site and they have what I think I need to make it work. If cant be done then I need to know where we can find the whole assy. at a low cost. I think what happened was it has not been serviced in who knows how long.
Unread 12-24-07, 10:04 AM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know for sure, but I think if you also need to replace a tire after a hard landing, you can get them at Home Depot in the lawnmower section.
Unread 12-24-07, 02:03 PM

Thanks Roger, I thought it was a simple question and a idea that might work. The owner found a used assy. that was $1700.00.
As a reply to your post on 7-12-06 "needing a adjustable seat" maybe you to could look at home depot I think they have hand cranks or better yet maybe office depot they sell desk chairs with adjustable hight. As a international F/E and A&P/I.A. your the first one with such a good answer. Merry Christmas
Unread 12-24-07, 03:31 PM

No prob. My seat request was looking for one that was a skymaster part, that was apparently an option that my bird didn't come with. Exactally like the one on the pilots side.

I beleive my concern with your request was valid, as a serious poster to a serious web site who's members I believe are interested in furthering the safety and reputation of the 336/337.

Not having ever heard a word from you before, your post just smacked of some scab job waiting for a door to colapse or fly off the hinges and harm somebody. Maybe not the current owner, but the next one who buys the plane and doesn't see that their normally nitrogen charged lift arm has been replaced with a $49.00 arm from a Vega hatchback.

That being said, I'm not the hall monitor, so perhaps I spoke out of tune.

Keep up the good work, and Merry christmas to you as well.
Unread 12-24-07, 05:07 PM

rick bell is an unknown quantity at this point
if the shaft is broken go to any machine shop and they can duplicate it for under 150.00 that is what i did, but used s/s
Unread 12-25-07, 08:15 PM

Thanks Rick for your reply. Yes all that is broken is the eye bolt where it is attaching at the door. I myself would like to replace with cessna parts, but some times I have to do what the A&P owner wants as long as it is within regs. After him telling me what he wanted to do I said I would do some research and see what I could find out. Took a little while to find this site and I thought it would be a good place to start and see if any other 337 owners had this happen with the door. I thought it was a simple question that the A/C owner wanted to know. But having only been on this site for less then 4 days I guess I am not a serious poster and it just smacked of a scab job. So again Rick thank you for the only serious reply out of 100+ views from such a serious web site.
Unread 12-28-07, 12:25 AM

Sport is an unknown quantity at this point
lift asist

I am wondering can the lift assist be reuilt. $1700 for a used one is steep.

Others must surly have the same problem
Unread 12-28-07, 11:42 AM

Sport that is cheep ($1700) I ran the P/N at cessna parts and got a price of $23000. Something to think about.
Unread 12-29-07, 02:39 AM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Makes me feel pretty ripped-off.

Think Cessna is trying to eliminate the 337's?

Couple this with a replacement fuel valve at $13,000.
Unread 12-30-07, 09:24 PM

Sport is an unknown quantity at this point
U must be kidding $23K what's the part number?
I have to check this out. U must mean $2300
Unread 12-31-07, 08:06 AM

P/N is 1580028-2 lift assy. Went to Cessnaaircraftparts.com and entered that part #, price was LIST- $27,922.00 --OUR PRICE
$23,733.70.
Unread 12-31-07, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Two thoughts:

1. The earlier 1973 Skymasters have an articulated linkage instead of a gas cylinder support. Perhaps finding the former in used condition might be cheaper. I have it in my aircraft, works quite well, and never needs maintenance.

2. The parts catalog shows that you can buy the individual components making up the gas cylinder assembly. Perhaps you can buy only the defective parts.

The figure below shows both the articulated linkage as well as the individual parts of the gas cylinder assembly.

Ernie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 337 door hinge.jpg (34.6 KB, 1359 views)
Unread 01-01-08, 07:33 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by stackj
Makes me feel pretty ripped-off.

Jim, your fuel valve was a bargain, compared to the gas cylinder costs!!

Be thankful you don't have one of those!!
Unread 01-03-08, 07:31 PM

This may help:

As for a 1580028-2 cabin door lift assembly, we do not have a good complete unit available. Presently we only have one core available which is noted as not complete which we would sell for $125.00 outright - no guarantee - no return.

Thank you
Steven Nussbaum
Preferred Airparts

Phone 800-433-0814
Unread 09-05-11, 10:05 AM

basloane is an unknown quantity at this point
Upper Door Lift Mechanism - Gas Springs?

This thread went sort of silent around the end of 2007. Does anybody have any updated information?

I also have been experiencing problems with my lift mechanism. The Seals and O-rings are standard items, totalling less than about $5.00, but I still cannot seem to get it to stay charged. Can't muster the nerve to spend 23,000 for a new assembly ( not going to comment on the Cessna Pricing Policy ).

I have been investigating suppliers of the Gas Springs that Mr. badboy82 speaks of in his first post. I believe I may have found a supplier in Germany with the quality worthy of use in aircraft. The website is www.stabilus.com.

Has anybody had experience with this company, or is there another company out there somewhere.

I would need to so some measureements on stroke travel, forces, etc. Are there any engineering guidelines out there with respect to additional safety margins to be applied to the lifting force required to lift the door?

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,........

Barry Sloane, N187