Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-25-23, 11:49 AM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Revolution?

What is the fundamental difference between certified and experimental?

Certified means, that with a trembling pen, a USG agency has affirmed in writing that the aircraft meets FAA 'requirements (standards)' applicable at the time of manufacture.

My suspicion is that construct came from the original USG procurement of aircraft: To bid or be a supplier to a USG contract requires the suppliers' products meet the USG tender bid specifications. "Best price for 1,000 P40 warhawks to the following requirements"

The only things that stop anyone from 'de-certifying' their aircraft, and making it experimental, ...is the paperwork.

The FAA's only existing process for 'restricted use' is to accommodate temporary testing or special use. To provide a temporary bridge from certification, to experimental, AND BACK,

The statutory authority (powers authorized by Congress when an agency was created),
of FAA over that process, or its authority to restrict it, would be interesting ...to explore.

Lastly, the insurance companies would have to recognize and be willing to insure formerly certified aircraft as 'experimental.'

Lastly would be the potential impact in asset value.
Fort Washington, MD 20744
Unread 02-25-23, 12:45 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
There is a movement to treat all GA aircraft essentially as "Experimental", while current regs (and possible new ones) would only apply to 121, 135, 141, etc. Essentially if an airplane carries passengers or cargo for money, its subject to the full regulatory authority of the FAA. If not, greatly reduced regulation.

Sounds like a good compromise to me. FAA can focus on a smaller group of aircraft and hopefully do a better job at it.
Unread 02-25-23, 02:12 PM

phlgsse is on a distinguished road
I don’t know. I’ve been looking at e-ab planes to purchase a lot lately and most of them are downright frightening. Seriously.
Unread 02-25-23, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlgsse View Post
I don’t know. I’ve been looking at e-ab planes to purchase a lot lately and most of them are downright frightening. Seriously.
The kit sellers market the kits as "quick-build" and downplay the amount of skill required to properly build them, causing unqualified owners to buy them, and the result certainly can be frightening!

I've also seen completed kits that looked better than a factory plane, but they are in the minority for sure.
Unread 02-25-23, 04:39 PM

phlgsse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post
The kit sellers market the kits as "quick-build" and downplay the amount of skill required to properly build them, causing unqualified owners to buy them, and the result certainly can be frightening!

I've also seen completed kits that looked better than a factory plane, but they are in the minority for sure.
The smart ones have someone like fast stack do their wiring if they’re not really good at it (I am not good at it either)

I saw one guy that just stripped the wires and shoved them in the holes where the pins should go at the back of the tray.
Unread 02-25-23, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlgsse View Post
I saw one guy that just stripped the wires and shoved them in the holes where the pins should go at the back of the tray.
Unread 02-25-23, 05:04 PM

Back to the OP's point, I looked into this issue many years ago, about taking a certified AC to Experimental, and was told something along the lines of there had to be at least a 50% change from the certified model. Apparently changing engine(s) is considered 50%. As I recall there were a few Turbine Bonanzas flying like this back in the day.