Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-27-23, 03:58 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Logbook access when plane shopping

I've noted two extremes lately while helping a friend shop for a plane. Sellers either make it easy to review the logs, or they make it hard.

The first group have their logs scanned into a PDF file, which they have uploaded to a cloud server, which allows them to simply text or email a link to anyone they want to give access. Some even have the link and/or PDFs files themselves listed in the ad so anyone can review the logs without even contacting the seller.

The second group act as if its a big hassle to scan the logs so they haven't done it. They want you to wait until you inspect the plane in person to see the logs. Its like pulling teeth to get them to even send over pics of the last few year's entries.

I'm not actively brokering aircraft at the moment, but when I did I always had the logs ready to go in electronic format. I figured the more folks who read the logs the sooner it would sell.

Any seller (or broker) who creates impediments and obstacles to me reviewing an aircraft's entire logs will be unlikely to sell me an airplane because it creates suspicion in my mind.

My 2 cents. If you are a member of the second group and like to keep your logs close to chest when trying sell your plane, I'd like to understand why.
Unread 02-27-23, 04:14 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Back in 1998

Just after I bought my 337,
to protect the asset value,
almost immediately,
I had my logs picked up and delivered to a nearby USGOV contractor
that copied them in to FIVE complete copied sets
of ...microfiche.

Pretty funny, eh?
Still have them around here someplace.

I recently used adobe scan on my iphone to do it the modern way.
Yes, it was a pain, but less of a pain than losing the logs!
Fort Washington, MD 20744
Unread 02-27-23, 06:11 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by n86121 View Post
Just after I bought my 337,
to protect the asset value,
almost immediately,
I had my logs picked up and delivered to a nearby USGOV contractor
that copied them in to FIVE complete copied sets
of ...microfiche.

Pretty funny, eh?
Still have them around here someplace.

I recently used adobe scan on my iphone to do it the modern way.
Yes, it was a pain, but less of a pain than losing the logs!
There's really no excuse not to have an electronic backup of your logs. Even doing it yourself with your cell phone is better than nothing!

If you have a scanner, "Scan to PDF" is what you want to do. Then combine all the engine log scans into one PDF, all the airframe scans into one PDF...you get the idea. You may glad you did one day.

Back in the days of Wilbur and Orville, the rogue A&P would hold your logs hostage until you paid his inflated bill. With electronic copies, the rogue A&P never gets your original logs.

The good and virtuous A&P's working on our airplanes will give us a sticker to put in the logbook when we get back to our personal Fort Knox where we keep the Originals.

Last edited by mshac : 02-27-23 at 06:28 PM.
Unread 02-27-23, 11:24 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
I use a service called Planelogix. I did all the original scanning, but they host the records. I give my A&P and avionics guys their own login for entries, and they can digitally sign entries. Fully compliant system. Of course, I have the original paper logs also, and keep them updated, because buyers can be hesitant to believe electronic record keeping is as good as paper. I can word search, part number search, and provide complete PDF of all logs on demand. And my logs are 100% accessible from any device anytime. I track usage, ADs, time-limited items, etc., and get alerts as I want them. It’s not a perfect system for a GA owner/operator, but the two owners are very responsive and helpful.

Www.Planelogix.com
Unread 03-03-23, 11:30 AM

Trippster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post
I've noted two extremes lately while helping a friend shop for a plane. Sellers either make it easy to review the logs, or they make it hard.

The first group have their logs scanned into a PDF file, which they have uploaded to a cloud server, which allows them to simply text or email a link to anyone they want to give access. Some even have the link and/or PDFs files themselves listed in the ad so anyone can review the logs without even contacting the seller.

The second group act as if its a big hassle to scan the logs so they haven't done it. They want you to wait until you inspect the plane in person to see the logs. Its like pulling teeth to get them to even send over pics of the last few year's entries.

I'm not actively brokering aircraft at the moment, but when I did I always had the logs ready to go in electronic format. I figured the more folks who read the logs the sooner it would sell.

Any seller (or broker) who creates impediments and obstacles to me reviewing an aircraft's entire logs will be unlikely to sell me an airplane because it creates suspicion in my mind.

My 2 cents. If you are a member of the second group and like to keep your logs close to chest when trying sell your plane, I'd like to understand why.
Because I'm technologically challenged and I don't really understand what exactly I need to scan. I have every document from when it was new in 1975, logs, sales receipts etc. I'm happy to take a picture and send copies of what you want to see specifically before coming all the way, but I don't have the time or scanner to easily scan it all.
Unread 03-03-23, 11:41 AM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
I would agree. I would put myself in category "3." I do not have anything scanned but if I were to ever sell my plane, I would gladly provide any and all documents that I have which would be everything since new or in the case of the engines, everything since factory remanufacture.