Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-16-23, 02:24 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjetter View Post
All that said…I have heard tell of an outfit in Florida that can do the Engineering to show how to connect a 400 or 400A autopilot to modern Garmin glass PFD. If one paid for that, then that data becomes the approved data and basis to approve connecting the STC’d glass displays to a factory autopilot not covered by the STC. In other words…you get field approval for the connection diagrams, and hook it up. I hear it works just fine. I haven’t contacted that guy yet, but will if I can’t get my AP fully functional.
I sure would be interested in hearing about this route.
Unread 01-16-23, 08:14 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolpilot View Post
PortaPilot seems a reach. My airplane isn't that tough to fly, even great distances.
I flew without an autopilot for the first many years of having my license. I flew Cessna 150, 172, 310 and more from Texas to California and Florida, hand flown every mile.

I used to think less of pilots who used autopilots. I eventually bought a few singles and two twins without (working) APs and always considered myself a better pilot for not needing one. Then I flew 135 and 121, and started to see the benefit of having a good AP. I still liked not having one when I flew GA aircraft, just to stay sharp.

Then I bought my first Bonanza with an AP in great working condition. I could trust it to hold an altitude, steer a course, or hold a heading. I could even trust it to fly a specific VS and capture an altitude. I could hit "direct-to" and I knew the plane would take me there. I am now sold on having an AP in my GA airplane!

My P337H has the STEC 60-2 AP with the ST360 preselect module, and life is great, but I don't think I'm as sharp as I was before when hand-flying was the only choice.

Be happy with what you have and where you are. We are truly blessed to be Skymaster owners.

Last edited by mshac : 01-16-23 at 08:24 PM.
Unread 01-17-23, 08:42 PM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
I am not yet an experienced pilot, but my current CFI who has many thousands of hours in small jets (135) has advised me that flying IMC alone (even with lots of experience) with a navomatic 400 might be one of my least risk averse moments. That task management in suddenly worsening IMC could pile up dangerously, and a failed or inaccurate AP could spell real trouble in that moment.

A 400a, in good rig, would be another story, since they are better to begin with (or so we've both read/heard), and still serviceable. Even AP Central said they won't take the 400 aught anymore.

Much as I'd love to be happy with mine, I have learned to heed his advice. And when Genesys is saying they probably can't even get inventory for the newer model (that I can't afford), the last option we have, I get even more concerned.

Last edited by YankeeClipper : 01-17-23 at 08:47 PM.
Unread 01-18-23, 08:42 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/...rim-issue-fix/

Garmin might have been a little preoccupied to add any more aircraft to their STC list lately. “GFC placarded as inoperative.” Pretty serious problem to put their time and attention on. Maybe now or soon, can approach them again.
Unread 01-19-23, 11:21 AM

GAdams is on a distinguished road
To be helpful to the group: Yesterday I completed the final flight test of the 55X system in my 337D model. All went flawless and I now have an autopilot nicely matched to the 337. I started working on this project back in April of 2022. I paid less than half the numbers you all are quoting for the 55X and the install. I did not elect to install the electric trim option as my airplane doesn't have electric trim anyway. Manually trimming this airplane is a non issue with the autopilot. The path to this success was long and not without setbacks but I may have paved the way for the rest of the fleet to an autopilot solution. My installer was the key. He worked with an Genesys dealer for the purchase of a remanufactured 55X, he did the installation and the dealer signed off the final inspection and paperwork. The dealer doesn't want to do the install and if you make him, he will quote 120 hours flat rate where the install took 54 hours. The install rate was $75 per hour. I have warranties as if it was a factory new unit. I'm not going to publish the installer's name and number here but PM me and I will share the information. We now have a path to replace our aging 300/400/400A's with at least a modern supported autopilot. Not digital but perhaps good enough for our birds. That's your decision.
Unread 01-19-23, 08:34 PM

Thanks GA.

To be sure, the 55x is certified for our planes. The reason for my concern is that I can't find an installer that estimates under 35k for the most basic of installations. On the east coast it seems I can't find anyone to tell me what color my airplane is for less than $130 plus time and materials. Even if I could it's worrisome when Genesys says they can't fill orders for the 55x right now at any price. At face value that's a problem for a little while anyway, and a monopoly is also an undesirable state of affairs if I read into all of this. We may be a niche market, but we're not flying B314s either (10 pt bonus if you can spot one without googling).

Or maybe we are numbering that few, but I guess I'm saying let's not go quiet into that dark night. Not just yet. Rather, keep lobbying Garmin and Genesys for more options.

Now about that contact you have...
Unread 01-31-23, 02:17 PM

hayesjaj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolpilot View Post
I sure would be interested in hearing about this route.
As would I. Wouldn't be Boxwell, would it?
Unread 01-31-23, 10:23 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesjaj View Post
As would I. Wouldn't be Boxwell, would it?
I don’t know if it was him, or Sarasota, or someone else. Ive not yet been able to confirm any of the rumors I posted below.
Unread 02-08-23, 04:13 PM

Ryann is on a distinguished road
Note, Barry @ Genesys sent an Email that they have started taking deposits today for S-TEC 3100 installations for the 337. They'll do the STC if they reach 25 deposits.

I'm dropping off the deposit check at my Genesys dealer this afternoon.

-Ryan (N255)

Quote:
Hi,
All of you own a Cessna 337 model. I am looking and gauging interest in a 3100 option. If you are interested, please read the following.
I am not sure if you know each other, but emails came in at about the same time. I am interested in your thoughts, and please reply.
The 3100 AP would be an outstanding bargain to get the benefits of a fully integrated digital autopilot, especially considering the additional safety features it will bring. The upgrade price will depend on the installed equipment for the aircraft owners with an S-TEC autopilot installed. Upgrades start at $10,995 retail.

The POH can be located at: https://genesys-aerosystems.com/prod...control-system

The most significant benefit of submitting a purchase order (early) is extending the 2-year warranty to 3 years for all new parts from the factory. Also, we are offering a 2-year warranty on any currently installed S-TEC servos. No matter how old they are. We ask that you send your servos back for a free checkup, modification status update, or repair.

The extended warranty offer is only valid until we gain the STC. Once that occurs, the regular warranty period will be offered.

Do you have a Dealer to work with to submit your purchase order? You can locate a dealer from the link:

https://genesys-aerosystems.com/dealer-locator

Genesys Aerosystems S-TEC 3100 autopilot STC process is determined by which model owners express interest.
I need 25 committed owners that place a 20% deposit with their S-TEC/Genesys Dealer.

If you are interested in helping secure an STC spot for your airframe, please respond to Barry.LeBlanc@genesys-Aerosystems.com.

The STC program would not start until we have 25 owners. Upgrades start at $10,995 and Full up systems at $25,995
Don't hesitate to get in touch with me directly with your questions.

With Best Regards,
Barry LeBlanc

Genesys Aerosystems
Regional Sales Manager
One S-TEC Way
Mineral Wells, Texas 76067
M: 940.327.0707
F: 940.325.8808

Genesys Aerosystems
Precise Performance, Proven Experience, Personalized Attention
Unread 02-09-23, 09:25 AM

Cglencross is on a distinguished road
I have 2-3 people committed up here if we can get the numbers up....that puts us to 6-7 people now.....
Unread 02-09-23, 11:03 AM

Well I started the thread, and if it's really 25k to get from an ARC to two digitally controlled, supportable axes, then it's better than 35k-45k, and I'll commit.
Unread 02-09-23, 11:48 AM

kbecker is on a distinguished road
Just called my local avionics shop--they hadn't heard of this but I passed on the contact info and he is going to call. I will put dowm my deposit after my avionics guy gets confirmation.

Kevin
Unread 02-09-23, 11:55 AM

Cglencross is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeClipper View Post
Well I started the thread, and if it's really 25k to get from an ARC to two digitally controlled, supportable axes, then it's better than 35k-45k, and I'll commit.
Lets work out the install too...
Unread 02-09-23, 02:42 PM

One shop just estimated an install (without of course ever having had an opportunity to perform one) right back at 40k. So not an "affordable alternative"... just a digital one.
Unread 02-10-23, 11:43 AM

Ryann is on a distinguished road
YankeeClipper: Check with another Genesys dealer, $40K seems at least several thousand $ too high. That would work out to about $14K of install labor to reach $40K.