Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 03-15-23, 11:55 PM

ljmolina is on a distinguished road
Fwd cowl flap motor

Ok, so when i bought my baby last year, the fwd cowl flap motor was replaced by the previous owner. i was given the old motor to keep.

Well this past weekend the fwd motor stopped working... i am going to check it this weekend.... but in the meantime I took the old motor apart to inspect why it failed..

I found out that the bushing wire to thr + side was broken...but to go deeper i wanted to check the commutator to verify it wasnt shorted to ground....all is good.

Here is where i need help... taking the commutator out, there is a spring clip, and behind it is the commutator bearing....which i damaged. I need to replace it now but i damaged the part number and cant read it... All i can see, is GERMANY on one side but the other side is scratched up and unreadable.

If anyone knows the bearing size please let me know?
Name:  bearing.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  262.3 KB
Name:  overview.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  186.3 KB
Unread 03-16-23, 11:50 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Do you realize that almost any DC motor repair/OH shop can get that motor into tip-top shape for you at very reasonable cost?

IIRC another member said he had his done for something like $200. This was not an FAA approved shop mind you, just a DC motor/alternator repair shop.

That being said, I've bought bearings online just by measurement. Or if you have a bearing shop around, drop by and show them your old one. They probably have a replacement.

Doubt anyone here will be able to help you with the bearing type/model, but I would enjoy being proven wrong.

Please post said information once you figure it out. It will help us all out who may find ourselves in the same boat!

PS - HOW THE **** ARE YOU ABLE TO POST PICS IN-LINE INSTEAD OF AS AN ATTACHMENT??? This issue has vexed this site for two decades now!

Last edited by mshac : 03-16-23 at 11:58 AM.
Unread 03-16-23, 12:02 PM

ljmolina is on a distinguished road
Yeah, thanks Mark... I found the thread last night after making this one... I am sending my unit in for repair.