Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-28-02, 09:06 PM

Good Skymaster shop in Florida

Hello,

I am in the process of finding my Skymaster and was looking for a good shop for a prebuy inspection as well as maintenance after that.

Any suggestions will be very welcomed.

I am based right now a ktmb Tamiami in FL.

Regards,

Ignacio
Unread 08-29-02, 07:56 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
fl

I hope that Ernie reads this, because he keeps his Skymaster at TMB. He should be able to help you out.
Unread 08-29-02, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
My A&P at Tamiami (KTMB) is Luis del Rosario of Checkmark Aviation (305-322-6849). I don't think you can find a better mechanic in the area, especially for Skymasters.

Luis used to own one, and has over 1,000 hours flying Skymasters. Having repaired his own 337 for many years has give him valuable skills. He not only knows the bird inside out, but also knows what problems need instant attention and what problems can wait to be fixed. Moreover, he's very realistic on what parts to buy, allowing the owner to look for used or overhauled parts (instead of new ones) when appropriate.

Oh, it doesn't hurt that his hourly rate (about $40) is a fraction of what others charge. And he doesn't pad the hours; in fact, he'll often say "this took me X hours, but it should have taken me Y hours, so I'll only charge you for Y".

One final point, if you ever plan to take your Skymaster to the islands -- he's done a lot of work in The Bahamas, knows the routine, and can be very effective. About 2 years ago, climbing out of MYBG, my rear engine developed a huge racket and loss of power. I feathered it, landed back at MYBG on the front engine, restarted the rear engine on the ground and, with Luis on the phone, did some diagnostics. He gathered replacements for the parts he suspected might have failed and arrived the next day. Within an hour the plane was fixed: he had brought the needed part, a rocker arm support stud.

Give him a call.

Ernie

Give him a call.
Unread 08-30-02, 12:02 AM

Thank you very much, could not be better than to have find a recommendation on the field. Where is Checkmark aviation located in the field? southside?

Regards,

Ignacio