Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 03-24-05, 10:12 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Hot rear engine

before anyone says anything, I did the search and did not find my question answered.

We have recently installed a 0 SFREM engine as our rear engine. My mechanic made all new tin and baffles, and it is sealed tight.

Having said that, I am puzzled. On our first flight, today, the rear cylinder head temp went right up next to 400, and stayed there. We did a short hop (mech and I), about 10 minutes, landed, made some adjustments, and flew back. Temps still up a lot. If I pull back on throttle (stay above 18, the book says) and revs about 2300, it dropped some, but not a lot. Rear cowl flaps were opened all the way. Would closing them help?

Is this semi-typical of first flights in a new rear engine? Does anyone know?

Monday, I hope to get the 2 hours they recommend in, and see how temps are.

I am puzzled, I would think that it is a new engine, but temps shouldn't be that high, especially since it's 40 degrees outside. EGT was reading the same for both front and rear engine.

Mine is 337D, normally aspirated. Front engine temps were on the low side. I have single probe cessna gages.

Speaking of that, how can we get the tach gages checked, calibrated. Does anyone know?

Thanks