Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-25-03, 01:30 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Anyone tried the video?

As described on the home page of this site, there is a video available for download now. Has anyone tried it? Our page usage statistics don't show it as a high usage page, leading to my wondering if ANYONE has tried it...

Also, if anybody has movie files they would like to see posted on the site, please send them to me on a CD...

A link to the movie is on the Pictures page of this site.

Kevin
Unread 09-25-03, 03:31 PM
Keven

Kevin:

I tried it and it worked fine. You definitely need DSL or cable though. It took awhile to load on DSL.

Keven
________
Cat wheel

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:02 PM.
Unread 09-25-03, 05:32 PM
A&P/IA

FRED-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Move

Kevin
Great move, but SAD.
Fred N358
Unread 09-25-03, 06:15 PM

Fred,

I hope you are talking about my selling my airplane, not the video.

Thanks,

Kevin
Unread 09-25-03, 06:17 PM

Keven,

Was it worth downloading? I can't separate how much I like it because it was my own airplane, and how much it is just fun to watch a Skymaster takeoff...

Just curious whether it is worth keeping available on the site or not, in your opinion...

Kevin
Unread 09-25-03, 09:54 PM

jimmuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jimmuse
I thought it worth the effort.

Sorry to see your plane fly off into the sunset.

Jim
Unread 09-25-03, 11:18 PM

Ah, now I understand Fred's message too. He meant "movie", not "move".

My airplane leaving *was* sad, but this movie was taken over a year ago, and the pilot flying is me. So not so sad, it is just a nice memory... The still picture on the home page is of my airplane being flown away after purchase.

Glad you guys enjoyed the movie.

Kevin
Unread 09-25-03, 11:39 PM

JLemons is an unknown quantity at this point
video

Keven, thanks for the movie. With DSL, it took about 20 min. to download. I watch the clip to keep the dream alive that someday I might be able to own one. Hopefully there will be more video clips in the near future.

Side note: When you get ready to buy your next Skymaster, have you considered documenting the whole process and use it as something to help educate future Skymaster owners?

JLemons
Unread 09-26-03, 02:30 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
Good video - but geez! 144MB for 40 seconds??? If you have that is a format other that .mov, I can do a much tighter mpeg compression for you (maybe a 10 to 1 reduction in size).

It was a good video - and sad to see your bird fly away.
Unread 09-26-03, 07:30 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
THE VIDEO IS VERY NICE. I HAVE BEEN THERE. THE WIND ALWAYS BLOWS……

JUST ONE QUESTION …………. WHEN THE GEAR RETRACTED IT INTERMITTENTLY JOGGED FROM RIGHT SIDE TO LEFT SIDE AND BACK AGAIN. I HAVE NEVER NOTICED THAT ON A SKYMASTER BEFORE…
Unread 09-26-03, 08:48 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
I did it

It didn't take very long to download, I have 2mbs cable at home.
I notice the gear 'wobble' that Herb commented on, and I think it is normal. When we swung the gear at annual, it did it on mine. Oh, it could be a function of the power pack, not the geared engine pump.
Unread 09-26-03, 09:26 AM

Both of my Skymasters have wobbled the gear during retraction like that. Every retractable Cessna single that I have watched take off wobbled like that. If you have seen Cessnas that don't, then maybe it is proximity to me that causes the wobble... ;-) Seriously, I think it is normal for many airplanes, if not all. BTW, my first Skymaster had the geared pump (it was a '65), and I used to see the same thing. So if yours does not, you are blessed...

As for compression of the video, I'll ask my friend who shot the video. He is really into video, does digital image processing for a living, and when I told him I was going to post it, he offered to compress it, but I thought that would imply lower quality or a smaller picture. Is MPEG the format I should ask him to use?

Kevin

Last edited by kevin : 09-26-03 at 09:28 AM.
Unread 09-26-03, 10:57 AM
Keven

Kevin:

In response to your question, yes, it was well worthwhile to download and didn't take but a few minutes on my dsl. I think it's a great function for the board if we'll have some folks who will submit some videos. My first vote would be for the modest young lady on the boat.

Keven
________
Half-baked

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:02 PM.
Unread 09-26-03, 11:31 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
WELL LET ME START WITH THIS .........
I HAVE TWO VIDEOS OF MY AIRPLANE RETRACTING AND THERE IS NO WOBBLE........... I WILL SUBMIT MY VIDEO TO KEVIN AND LET HIM APPLY TO THE SITE. LARRY HAS A COPY OF IT AND A COPY OF HIS AIRPLANE THAT I SHOT ............. BUT IF I REMEMBER HE DID NOT CYCLE THE GEAR RIGHT AFTER TAKE OFF AND I MAY HAVE NOT RECORDED THE ACTION .........

THE VIDEO I HAVE IS MY '68 WITH GEAR PUMP .......

I SO AGREE THAT THERE ARE CESSNA'S THAT DO THIS ..... I'M THINKING OF A 210 THAT I REMEMBER SEEING........ I JUST HAVE NEVER NOTICED A 337....................
Unread 09-26-03, 10:57 PM

Damon Banks is an unknown quantity at this point
The main gear leg wobble is normal.

The right main gear leg is the last to unlock due to the design of the hydraulic system. When it finally does unlock, gravity causes it to 'dangle'. As it falls, the ram works a bit like a pump in reverse and pushes a pulse of fluid back through the system - causing the left main to wobble too.

The wobble persists until the hydraulic pump catches up and starts to overcome gravity and pushes the main gear up into the wells.

By the way, you should also notice that the nosewheel is the first to unlock and in most cases, is already retracted before the mains unlock and start their dance. The sudden pressure change when the mains drop may allow the nosewheel to droop slightly for a moment, but it is lighter than the mains, so it doesn't stay drooped for long before stowing into its well.

It's also usual for the right main gear to be the last to lock down when extending the gear.

On another note, is it possible to 'extract' and post some stills from the video for those of us that don't have a fast enough connection to look at the video itself?

Damon