Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 02-24-04, 11:51 PM

AussieO2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Turbine conversions for O-2

I have read in numerous references that at least two O-2 have been converted to turbine power. One had turbine front and rear, the other, known as "Sand Crab" had only one rear powerplant. Can anybody provide more info/details/serials/present whereabouts, etc.....?????
Unread 02-25-04, 08:30 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
I believe, memory, that the SandCrab was a single engine turbo prop, rear, that was developed for an Arab country. It was last reported in Arizona, USA. The twin was developed by Bassler, in Oshkosh, but I don't think they ever made any.

For more information, look at

http://www.superskyrocket.com/pages/...istory_1_1.htm

It's on the riley website, and there are several pages of history there.
Unread 02-25-04, 05:10 PM

AussieO2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, Sand Crab is 337M-0273, s/n 68-10997, now located at Quonset Air Museum.. Is it still with Turbine engine??.
Also, the Cessna O-2 prototype was N6304F, 337-0304. Is this true, if so, then this was the airplane that was converted to two Allison turbines. This a/c is still active, now with Continental IO-360 powerplants. Can anybody supply photos of these a/c??
Unread 02-26-04, 05:18 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
N6304F, sn 337-0304 is listed in the FAA database as a 1966 337A. It's currently registered to an individual in Ohio. The FAA records list its power plant is an IO-360.

I've seen the single engine Basler conversion (N337BF) at Oshkosh a few times. It’s called a Spectrum SA 550. It uses a 1978 airframe. The registry says this is a P&W PT6A-60A power plant.

There's also a picture of one of these (which is no longer in the registry under this N Number) on Peter's old site at (sadly with many broken image links):

http://www.skymaster.org.uk/spectrum.asp
Unread 02-26-04, 07:42 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
THERE WAS A COMPANY IN KALISPELL, MT THAT WAS CONVERTING SKYMASTER'S. THIS PATICULAR CONVERSION WAS A SINGLE TURBO PROP ON THE FRONT. THE COMPANY WAS LOCATED AT THE MUNICIPAL AIRPORT JUST SOUTH OF THE CITY. I WAS THERE IN ABOUT 1999 AND THEY HAD 4 OR 5 AIRFRAMES IN PIECES WITH ONE OR TWO THAT HAD BEEN STARTED FOR THE CONVERSION. ONCE THEY REMOVED THE REAR ENGINE THERE WAS A NICE AREA FOR CLUB STYLE SEATING AND BAGGAGE. NOT SURE IF THIS PROJECT EVER SUCCEEDED. I HAVE PHOTOS AND CAN NOT SEEM TO LOCATE THEM AT THIS TIME. WHEN I DO I WILL POST THEM. I HAVE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD OF ANYONE ELSE EVER SEEING THESE AIRCRAFT.