Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-06-04, 09:52 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
100ll

Everyone knows you can't use auto fuel in a plane, but can you use 100LL in a lawnmower?? House and hangar are nearing completion, and I was thinking that instead of dumping the sumping, I could use it in the lawnmower.
Unread 05-06-04, 09:59 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
NO PROBLEM
I USE IT ALL THE TIME IN MY AIRPLANE TOW TUG.
WORKS GREAAAAAAAT........VROOOM!
Unread 05-07-04, 01:20 PM

hewilson is an unknown quantity at this point
I've heard stories of hot rodders using it their street rigs with good results.
Unread 05-07-04, 08:14 PM

docbob is an unknown quantity at this point
During the "fuel crises" in the Winter of '73 I used it all the time. While others were sitting in long gas lines, I simply went to the airport and filled up. My vehicles ran very much better!
Bob
Unread 05-09-04, 02:56 AM

Pat Schmitz is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a good friend who perpetually dumped his sumps excessively, but even worse - he insisted on pumping the first 1/2 dollar or so from the pump onto the ground before puting any in his plane to make sure that he did not get any dirt or contaminants in his planes fuel system.. I convinced him to put it into a small 1 gallon can, and blend it with his lawnmower gas too... He says it runs better now than it ever has.... and he flys enough that he almost never buys fuel for his mower anymore...

It works fine.
Unread 05-11-04, 09:57 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up 100LL

I use it in both my mower and power tug. Both start with only one pull of rope starter.
Unread 05-11-04, 10:11 AM
Web Master

cool.
Now, with gas prices what they are, I may tanker some in for the car. 100LL is cheaper than premium fuel.
Unread 05-11-04, 10:28 AM

What are you paying for 100LL up in Michigan? We have been paying around 2.75 here in Iowa if you are an insider....Transient prices are more like 2.95 A few unattended airports here and there still have tanks that were filled at the 2.50 prices... so 'bargains' can be found, but they are dwindling fast.. (and we don't tell where!!)

Premium prices here are around 2.25 at the car pump.

This is crazy!!
Unread 05-12-04, 05:23 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
Putting 100LL into a tug or lawnmower is one thing, but I wouldn't dare put it into a car the has a catalytic converter in it. If you do, you'll have to buy a new catalytic converter when your "experiment" is over.
Unread 05-12-04, 09:04 AM
Web Master

Yeah, it's a bad thing for cars. Very expensive, probably voids the warranty as well.

OXI, Knox, Indiana is at 2.25 for 100LL, 93 octane at the corner gas station was 2.29 this am.
Unread 05-12-04, 10:05 AM

Interesting....

Thats a .50 - .75 /gal difference... (way more than I would expect!) Perhaps you have more competition in that area.... If not, we just seem to have a supplier here that is profiteering.
Unread 05-12-04, 01:03 PM
Web Master

I think it's location, Pat. At the major airports, GRR, AZO, BTL, the price is all around $3.00. At the outlying airports, run by cities / counties, it's considerably cheaper. When Gerry and I were headed for PWA, we stopped at TBN, where it was $2.20. We could have stopped at UBX, where it is $2.00.

After PWA, I went on to DAL, and the prices on that airport ranged from 2.99 to 3.53. Astounding. I stopped at Regal, great reviews, paid 3.03, got free night in the hangar.

Over at MDW, where I am going this week, it is 3.82 to 3.90. Gary, 18 miles away, is 2.60.

The range in prices, one airport to another, is just astounding.
Unread 05-12-04, 01:33 PM

It pays to shop around... I need to fly to Dallas this next week, for about 5 days - I guess I'll invest a little more time looking for a good place to land/hangar/fuel - even if it means I have to drive a little..

Out of curiosity - what do you use as your source for best fuel prices, and do they generally match up with the listed prices when you arrive?? - or do you call ahead??
Unread 05-12-04, 02:59 PM

Roadagero is an unknown quantity at this point
www.airnav.com has a nice site that will lookup prices for avgas for you. If you find a good spot, or a place that is different you can update the price yourself.
Unread 05-12-04, 10:24 PM
Web Master

AIRNAV

It is a good place for fuel and other information. i.e., they'll tell you what approaches are available at the airport you are looking at. Reviews by users will give you a clue as to what to expect.

In Metro Dallas, there are lots of places, but I was coming in on a day when I knew the weather was going to be marginal, and I wanted to be close to the folks I was visiting. That left F46 (VOR-A, NDB) or DAL (ILS). I chose DAL. 400 feet and 2 miles when I landed. Given a preference in marginal weather, I prefer an ILS and a control tower.

Check out airnav. You can do trip planning. It will search out a route, given your parameters, which will minimize your fuel expenses. That's how I figured out to go to TBN (localizer) vs UBX (NDB).

The information at Airnav is only as good as the people submitting it, but you can get a flavor for the places, and if you contribute, you help others.