Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 10-13-03, 01:41 AM

dangerboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tracking down the family airplane

My father owned a 1967 337B w/ the registration N2321S. It was based in Idaho Falls ID when he owned it. He sold it some years ago, I believe around 1986. I have searched every database I can find to figure out the whereabouts of this plane, but so far I've had no luck. The aircraft was white/yellow w/ black trim. It was a great airplane of which I have many fond memories, and was the airplane in which the flying bug hit me as a little boy (I now fly professionally). Any help tracking down this part of my past would be appreciated!!
Unread 10-13-03, 02:47 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
Danger,

I see the NTSB has an accident report dated 02/02/85, in which a person was injured by the front prop. It contains minimum details.

Click here for the NTSB report

Do you know the serial number? I'm guessing it was 337-0621. I came to this conclusion from the serial numbers of aircraft with similar N numbers:

N2313S -> 337-0613
N2315S -> 337-0615
N2322S -> 337-0622
N2324S -> 337-0624
N2325S -> 337-0625

Based on that, an SN search shows the aircraft is now registered as N769DC, in Monroe, NC:

Click here for the Landings Serial Number Lookup Form and then enter 337-0621 in the "Serial Number" Field.

Last edited by Kevin McDole : 10-13-03 at 06:47 AM.
Unread 10-13-03, 04:32 PM

Thanks Kevin for your help! I remember the accident reported in the NTSB files vividly. It was my aunt that walked into the front propeller of this airplane with my dad at the controls. It was shortly thereafter that he sold the airplane. Anyway, he will be really excited to hear what happened to his first of two Skymasters!! Thanks again for your help!!
Unread 10-13-03, 08:56 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
HEY DANGERBOY,
I FLEW TWO DIFFERENT SKYMASTERS IN IDAHO FOR 30 SOME YEARS. BASED IN TWIN FALLS. WENT TO IF QUITE A BIT IN THE 80- 90'S. RED BARON AND AEROMARK.

KEVIN,
I HAVE NEVER TRIED THE LANDINGS SEARCH BEFORE
THEY ARE NOT REAL ACCURATE ON THE SPECS FOR THE AIRCRAFT OR ENGINES. KIND OF NEAT THOUGH

HERB
Unread 10-13-03, 10:55 PM

Francisco is on a distinguished road
Hope your aunt is ok....
Unread 10-15-03, 02:06 AM

Herb,
What a small world!! My wife is from Filer ( you know where that is, right)? My dad kept his plane based at Red Baron, which is now owned by Aeromark. His second Skymaster, also a 1967 model with turbocharged, intercooled engines, and a Robinson STOL kit, was kept up in Driggs. That airplane performed great, considering field elev. was approx. 6250'. That airplane was purchased from a gentleman up in Coeur d' Alene ID that was a parapalegic named Steve Soper(sp?). He flew the airplane in the airshow circuit, and had the tail #721SM. As far as I know, that plane is still based in Driggs, as the fellow my dad sold it to still lives there.

Fransisco,
Thanks for your concern regarding my aunt. Believe it or not, she lived for about 18 mo. before passing away due to the injuries sustained in that accident. It was a tragic experience from which I hope we can all learn something about proper ground operation practices. BELIEVE me, you don't want something like this to happen to you!!!
Unread 10-15-03, 05:44 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like N721SM is now based in Plymouth MN (as of June 2000).
Unread 10-15-03, 06:47 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
DANGER,
I LIVED IN TWIN FALLS FOR 42 YEARS SO I KNOW ABOUT FILER. I ALSO KNOW STEVE SOPER. HE FLEW A PITTS IN AIRSHOWS (CAN'T REMEMBER THE TEAM NAME) AND IF I REMEMBER RIGHT HAD AN ACCIDENT WITH THE PITTS WHILE FERRY TO ANOTHER SHOW. THAT'S WHEN HE GOT THE SKYMASTER. IT WAS BASED IN SPOKANE, WA. I SAW IN A HANGER UP THERE ONCE AND TALKED TO THE A&P THAT WORKED ON IT. THAT MUST HAVE BEEN ABOUT 1985 OR SO. WELL ANYWAY WECOME TO THE SITE.

BTW
WHERE ARE LOCATED NOW?