Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 05-29-10, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not easy to find enough people for 2/3 load who are willing to endure this simulation. And I don't seek a blanket answer, just people's opinions until I test it.

Ernie
Unread 05-29-10, 03:42 PM

tropical is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Martin View Post
It's not easy to find enough people for 2/3 load who are willing to endure this simulation. And I don't seek a blanket answer, just people's opinions until I test it.

Ernie
Bags of sand, bags of concrete mix, free weights, etc. It doesn't have to be people.

You're expecting someone to provide you with an answer when you could go out and prove it to yourself except you don't want to risk it with your airplane. No one here is going out to be your test pilot.

As I said earlier, there are many factors involved in the scenario you have provided, airplane, engines, rigging of the airplane, center of gravity, skill of the pilot, weather conditions, etc.
Unread 05-29-10, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Tropical, do I sense some problem here? I ask because you seem to find discord with almost everything I say. For the record:

1. I've carried cinder blocks, concrete and lots more on my airplane, and it leaves the interior a mess.

2. I'm not asking anyone to provide with an answer or be my test pilot. Take a moment to read my postings above. I'm seeking only opinions, even from people who haven't tried it.

3. Your flat statement that I don't want to risk it is false. I will do it as soon as I can, something I've said in prior postings. Until then, I was simply hoping to get views that might prompt me to fly lighter or higher.

But, given that the subject seems to trouble you, and to avoid further discord, I will not be posting further replies on this thread. I will let my prior postings speak for themselves and hope that anyone with views on whether our twin can maintain altitude after an engine failure will post them here.

Ernie
Unread 05-29-10, 09:54 PM

tropical is an unknown quantity at this point
Doesn't trouble me at all. Several posters (including me) have already gave you information but you simply won't accept it.

You take a "pollyanna principal" approach to operating the Skymaster as recently exhibited on the thread about flying to Bermuda.
Unread 05-30-10, 11:21 AM

Cole5Oh5 is on a distinguished road
Hoo Rah

Load it up, then fly it the way you want. Fill it with sand bags, cement bags (they are readily available). Put in as much or as little fuel as you want. Then take it up to 5K, and shut down an engine. Don't go pansy on us, using the zero thrust thing, shut the engine down. Experiment with the various power settings. Then shut down the other engine. Oh, you might want to fire up the one you shut down first.
See if you can hold altitude at 2300 and 17 inches. Then move up from there.
Do the test pilot stuff your self.
Let us know if how you do. See if the POH can be ignored.
Make a video of all this, too. You can mount a camera so it shows the instrument panel. Looking over the left shoulder.
Unread 05-30-10, 02:01 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
By the book, it works,

My Vote is YES
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot 2010-05-30 14-00-06.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot 2010-05-30 13-58-43.jpg
Views:	1090
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1134  

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 05-30-10, 02:47 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Ernie,

My two cents.... Be careful out there. If you are going to start feathering props, start at very light weights and work up from there. And what the heck, you may as well do it over the top of a 4000-5000+ foot runway just in case things do not go quite as planned. I'm just a fan of being conservative. It keeps us safe and keeps our old machines flying. The results would be interesting, however I personally believe the book and assume that is the best case scenario. I figure I would not do as well as the book because my airplane and my skills would not match the airplane and the pilot that Cessna used. Be safe.

Ed