Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-08-07, 11:33 PM

birddog is an unknown quantity at this point
What the heck?

On the walk a round I found a bullet size hole in the right aileron. It was actually a 3 inch skip pattern with a quarter inch hole in the bottom side of the aleron. Approxamatly one inch from the trailing edge on the outboard side. It did not penetrate the top side and we are inspecting the internal damage as I write. Some of you may know where this is leading. Further inspection turned up a huge stone nick on one of the rear blades. Four inches from the tip there was a quarter inch gouge on the leading edge on one of the blades. I was surprised to see the rock made it to the back part of the wing. You can start what ifing a lot of things. Anyway something to consider if your flying along and you have a "what the heck" P.S. there was no vibration or anything to suggest damage on the previous 2 hour flight. Rear engine came up first on the roll on a hard surface runway. The blade is trashed with a new one ordered. Anybody know a good source for a right aleron.
One unhappy birddog till I get my ride back.
________
Glass Bubblers

Last edited by birddog : 04-09-11 at 05:01 PM.
Unread 08-09-07, 05:21 AM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I got a couple of flight control surfaces from Preferred Airparts in Ohio. They usually have a large ad in Trade-A-Plane.
Unread 08-09-07, 08:15 AM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Parts

02337 Cessna Skymaster parts, 0-2A Parts, Aircraft SalesAuthentic Cessna Skymaster USAF Restoration, 02337parts, 02337 Cessna Skymaster parts, 0-2A parts.
02337parts.com/ - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

Don Nieser is usually a good source
Unread 08-10-07, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the lead.
________
VAPORITE REPLACEMENT PARTS

Unread 08-10-07, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Two points.

First, a suggestion that may come a bit late is that a 1/4 inch nick on the leading edge of a prop blade does not necessarily mean it's unserviceable and needs replacing. The mfg establishes certain acceptable width at specified stations and if your prop has that width, it can be overhauled with the used blade (or if recently overhauled, the blade can be dressed and the whole assembly inspected and balanced by the prop shop). I know this from experience because my rear prop had a similar nick (1/4 inch or larger); I had it measured before it was overhauled this year and I knew that it would pass.

Second, I don't quite understand the sequence that lead to the two damages. Are we saying that an object (perhaps a pebble) bounced forward after nicking the rear prop and hit the aeleron?

Ernie
Unread 08-10-07, 11:26 PM

Ernie, I had the maitenance shop email me pictures that I will forward. Photo quality not very good on the prop damage. This gouge was 3 to 4 inches from the tip. It is at least 1/4 deep and 1/4 wide. Maybe a bit more. I had a friend loose a blade tip once and it almost brought him down. He was in a twin, but that's another story. I used to get stone nicks all the time in the turbo commander and we just filed them down.

Both impact points were discovered at the same time and were not there on the previous preflight inspection. The skip pattern on the aileron or direction of travel is in line with the blade rotation. What is a little unusual but not impossable is the slight forward travel. Considering the way a base ball can travel off a bat and you have a projectile that can impact the underside of the wing.
________
FERRARI 248 F1

Unread 08-11-07, 10:46 PM

Kim Geyer is an unknown quantity at this point
You might want to check out what TCM has to say about it http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/SB96-11A.pdf
Kim