Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 03-19-22, 11:06 PM

Dan schultz is on a distinguished road
Starter drive adapter worn out

As I was replacing a vacuum pump the other day, the garlock seals were bad, removed tee drive from the “classic” starter adapter to replace them and wow that thing was wore out inside, both the right angle gears were worn out, tee shaft keyway terrible, and the main shaft drive flats worn out, what a mess. Removed a starter adapter from my parts airplane, 1300 hr factory engines, found the tee shaft and large gear to be good, found a new old surplus small gear, and a used tagged main drive shaft. Prices on these things is unbelievable. Might have to start making those parts. Niagara says about 700 hours and they are gone

Dan
N67S
Unread 03-21-22, 01:10 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Niagra said to only expect 700 hours out of starter drive adapter?!
Unread 03-21-22, 05:48 AM

Yes, 700 hours and the tee drive is Worn out, those other aircraft with the AC compressors a little longer.

Last edited by Dan schultz : 03-21-22 at 05:53 AM.
Unread 03-22-22, 06:31 AM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan schultz View Post
Prices on these things is unbelievable.
Dan, how unbelievable?

Would you mind listing the places, even links, to the sources you found?
Unread 03-22-22, 05:13 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
Aircraft Specialties rebuilt mine last year and it was $4750. My adapter model is 6350408-A14. You have to be careful....Cadian Aero has them listed for $2,000 with a $3000 core charge - which is the price they gave me. However, I had heard from some others that the core charge is only returned if like 95% of the parts are good. Any new parts chips away at the core charge and by the time it is done, you get nothing back.

As noted, the gears and shaft in the T-drive portion of the unit are the primary cost issue. I think the "regular" starter adapter is about half that to rebuild. The only reason for the T-drive (on my 337A) is because there are 2 accessories being driven off of it the hydraulic pump and the vacuum pump. Knowing what I know now, I would have taken the extra money, dumped the AI and DG for a dual G5 set up and removed the vacuum system. This would eliminate the need for that type of starter adapter. Since nothing is easy, I am sure there would be some paperwork requirements as well. My guess is that affects the cost of the rebuild on that engine as well. So by the time you have to pay for the rebuild during engine overhaul, and then again before the end of the engine life, you would have paid for the 2 G5's (parts not installation) and have a better set up.

The drive I had made it to 1300 hours and it was actually the starter spring system that went out that caused me to send it in. They called even before they took it apart and he said he has never worked on one that DIDNT need the T-drive parts replaced, and he said it was expensive......
Unread 03-24-22, 12:49 PM

I did find from Aircraft specialties a yellow tagged classic main shaft for 1500.00. I found a new old stock 45 degree small drive gear for 500.00 from Preferred Airparts. From my parts aircraft I was able to salvage a tee shaft and the large 45 degree gear, and the M015 big brass gear. Overhaul kit number 4 from Niagria 190.00 or so, and the new M015 spring for around 200.00 I think.

So the long of it about 2500.00 for parts, and I put it back together.

New starter adapter from Continental 10,200.00
New Hartzell adapter who make it for Continental 8200.00
Spruce shows no stock for either.

Who knows about availability from either.

Other option that I most likely will do for a spare is convert a “classic” to the new style, which would be a main shaft change, spring change, worm gear change, push the large steel retainer out, then still have to find gears and the tee shaft. All of this may encroach on a new unit, however, then you have to deal with availability.

Dan
67S

Last edited by Dan schultz : 03-24-22 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Spruce
Unread 04-04-22, 08:11 PM

Heads up,

I did order from Niagara Airparts an overhaul kit for the TSIO360C starter drive adapter but it did not include a needle bearing for the scavenge pump adapter plate, ugh, the B166 bearing has never been included dont know why. Just another delay waiting for parts.

Just found out today ,4-13-22, Niagara’s kit also does not contain the small ms35756-3 key for the scavenge pump. I can’t stand when a company sells a kit that is supposed to contain all you need, and then fails.

Dan
N67S

Last edited by Dan schultz : 04-13-22 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Key