Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 08-29-07, 08:41 PM

Nick Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Ernie for the plug. Ernie's assistance was invaluable in assisting me through the Bahamas, but better, I got to divert to his incredible house in Great harbor due to solid thunderstorm line across our flight path. I learned a tremendous amount from Ernie and was glad he suggested the LOP/ROP setup. 2 gals. per hour per engine is correct, as noted on JPI 760 engine monitor with fuel flow. The fillup at end of flight confirmed those numbers from the fuel totalizer. But as Ernie has always maintained, this method is best utilized with engine monitor system, and by pilots who have been educated about the process of running LOP safely. In addition, many engines will not run LOP because of widely varying F/A mixtures in each cylinder. The GAMI jectors take care of that problem.

The obvious savings for me, a 200 HR/yr pilot, are about 800gals. a year. It is the not so noticeable long range savings that I think may be more signifigant.

Ask yuorself, Where does that extra 2 gals per hour go? Some out the exhaust but also a lot of it ends up just as deposits and gum on the engines moving parts and surfaces. After a recent compression check and borescope of both engines, my mechanic remarked that the engine was unusually clean and that he had rarely encountered such uniform compressions. I thinkit is because the GAMIjectors deliver close to identical F/A mixtures to all cylinders, and run LOP, the combustion event is close to identical in each cylinder, clean with little residue. Is it unusual in 3 years of operation that I have never had a fouled plug? When I hear of engines having cylinder problems and valve problems less than half way to TBO, I always wonder about a cylinder that runs continuously dirty, over rich. In summary, the long term savings of a cleaner, evenly balanced engine, run safely LOP, may be an even greater savings than just the fuel savings.

Down off the soap box, it's just a personal opinion..