Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 05-28-02, 10:40 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
337 Camera port

Rob Wooding asked me to post the following for him:

We are looking for a source of approved drawings for the
installation of a photogrammetric camera port in a 337.
Turbo or Pressurized model. Quite a few aircraft were
modified in this way although it was not a factory option
as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

Rob Wooding
rwa@iafrica.com
Unread 05-31-02, 11:30 AM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, it was an option. A friend bought a '67 "B" model, N8314G and it had the camera hole option. You're not going to find a pressurized model, it would compromise the pressure vessel. Well, OK, it wasn't an option, but a service kit that could be installed later, but it had all Cessna built parts.

Dave
Knoxville, TN
O-2A
Unread 06-01-02, 12:26 AM

Thumbs down

We needed a camera port. Checked in on putting one in our "C"
model. A factory one would be a geat expense so we put a 2"X4" hole in the belly and got a 337 field approval for it . Works great. The glass for a pressurized plane would be about $15000 just for the glass. If you want a big hole I would buy a plane with the port hole in it.
Erlend
Unread 06-02-02, 06:00 PM

Thanks Dave & Erlend. Somebody suggested that I contact a Cliff Ives at Cessna. Banged an Email to the webmaster at Cessna asking for a forward but nothing came of it. Anybody have contact details for Cliff Ives?

Incidentally we are looking for a 17" diameter main hole and a 5" diameter secondary hole either between the co-pilots feet or immediately behind the main hole.

In the meanwhile I geuss we will just keep looking. Must be out there somewhere. Really don't want to start from scratch.

Rob.
Unread 06-04-02, 07:28 AM
Ace of the Atmosphere

Cliff retired a few years ago. I don't know his replacement. Its a shame, Cliff was always a big help when I had a problem with the O-2.

Dave
Knoxville, TN
Unread 06-29-02, 12:57 AM

Don Nieser is on a distinguished road
337 camera port

Please contact me. I parted out a T337 with a camera port and I still have many of the parts. Also I have all the parts for the camera port for the 0-2A aircraft.
Don Nieser
Commodore Aerospace Corp
6221 Commodore lane
Oklahoma City OK 73162
405-722-4079 phone and FAX
405-503-4686 hangar cell phone
nieser.02.337parts@juno.com
Unread 06-30-02, 12:46 AM

Cool N8314G

Dave,

What a small world. I used to fly 8314G in Louisiana doing pipeline patrol. Great airplane.... and yes, I discoverd the camera port while washing the belly. What color was it when you saw it last? It's painted like an O2-B now.

David
Unread 06-30-02, 12:35 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

N8314G

David,
I performed a few annual inspections on 14G, and balanced the controls when it was repainted in the late 80's. That was when I had my shop in Conroe, TX (CXO). The owner that had it then sold it when he bought an O-2A from the Navy. I'm not sure who owns it now, but it was sold to a gentleman in Hilltop Lakes, TX (T38).

Dave
O-2A
68-11055
Unread 06-30-02, 03:47 PM

Cool RE: 8314G

Dave,

14G is currently in Crowley, LA (3R2). Owned by A.J. Aviation.

David
Unread 06-30-02, 04:17 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Post Camera port huh......

Gee don't any of you guys look in the... service parts manual anymore... in their you will find the drawings and part no's for the ones they built with camera ports... and yess they had to be factory made... yep I have one.. its a 75GII and sure enough its got the big hole under the copilots seat... great for ejecting them sassy argumentive borring co-pilots or the gal who just won't be quiet while you fly... and the small hole with the glass behind the pilots seat....

Now after servicing both types... you are in for a major undertaking if you think all you have to do it go cut a couple of holes... ain't so... their is different hydralic lines.. keel beam metal,,, cable arangments...and seat mounts... its a major... major undertaking.. besides their is even different sheet metal on the bottom.. the whole area under the cabin is doubbled with a thicker sheet... to stiffen and give it back its strength when the big hole goes in... so you won't be just making minor modifications... its almost rebuilding the plane... and no I don't want to sell mine... I like my plane... and while I have the K17/19 cameras and controls and mounts for it... I have never used the hole in the bottom...neither has anyone else so it seems...

Their was some guy a while back who wrote and wanted to take some pictures way up their and wondered about the skymaster... first off he wanted to go to 30,000 feet or some dumb altitude... which the plane won't go... and then wanted pressurization... so they didn't have to use oxygen... and then wanted to do it for just two nickles an hour... I mean.. like these are good planes but, your asking for the space shttle and wanting it on a beer budget... ain't going to happen... and if you do make it so... let us all in so we can enjoy the ride... smile....

As to presurization and the camera port... again ... ain't going to happen... as Dave says... the certification is not their... and the pressure would be too great... so your limited to just turbo and oxygen for that way up their stuff... and remember you decrease temp as you go up... smile.. so your going to need electric heaters for the camera too...

What I think I would do is see if you couldn't locate a whole cabin that has it already in it... take just the cabin area and replace it into a good plane... that would probably be the cheepest... and fastest way to do it...

Some time ago their was a canadian survey company that was looking for several.. and they were buying just about anything that had a camera port in it... from 210s on up to D-18's... they made a good offer to me on mine but, I like 484 and its like trading wives... they even said that they would find another year model one that was like mine and trade it to me with some cash to boot... but, I told them no... most of the camera ported planes are really sought after now that the real estate people and aerial survey people are looking for them... sorry...

Dave.... I have a nother camera ring... mount that may fit one of the O_2s. you might be interested in... its military... I will send you a picture on the web of it... I have no use for it and if its something you might need... let me know... I also have a rams horn yoke... and another control (pilots side) tube col assembly... if anyone needs one... cessna sent the wrong one... and then wouldn't take it back...

Oh and one other option that I have seen some of the forest service planes do that rent 337 over here... is use a pod under the wing... attached to a rack that was used for the rocket tubes and guns... their they put the IR and video camera stuff.. and then the operator can look forward, down and back... so they can do their 3D photogramity as well as the new survey methodes... they use the stablized camera from canada... its about 6 inches in dia... and goes into the pod which is aerodynamic... so their is another suggestion that you might look for... instead of cutting holes in the bottom of the plane...

And as to Cliff Ives... he was a great loss... I understand that someone said he died a couple of months back... but, I haven't confirmed it.... he was MR. CESSNA... and almost ran the company by himself... the knowledge he had gained over the years ... would fill a telephone book... I met him many times and he was always the frendlest and best friend a cessna owner could have... if cessna built it.. he knew it... and could get the print or drawing to give you the info.... a most valuable resource... that has now passed on...

HOpe this helps... Good luck... GMAs...

Last edited by GMAs : 06-30-02 at 04:27 PM.
Unread 07-01-02, 01:02 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
P337 camera port

When I was searching the P337 market a few years ago, I came across a 1975 T337G (pressurized) model, N42WA, that had in fact been used for aerial photo work...ahhhh, but in the un-pressurized mode. It was owned by an outfit in Seattle and the fellow who flew it was Art Lovelace. N42WA has probably changed hands a few times since I last saw it, but the deal is -- they basically ruined the airplane to do the camera work and when they decided to sell it... well, that's why we bypassed it because of the patch job. Might be interesting for someone who is set on a P337 to acquire the aircraft's file from OKC and look at the 337's, etc. to see what the details were.

SkyKing
Unread 07-02-02, 05:59 PM

GMAs,

This might interest you.

I found out that the guy at Cessna to speak to was Ricardo J Asensio. Listed as their International Field Service Engineer - Propeller Aircraft Product Support. He responded very quickly and very helpfully. (Take a bow Cessna!)

This is what he said :-

==============================================

SUBJECT : 337 Photographic Provisions

Rob,

Depending on the serial number of the aircraft I can offer you the installation blueprint and the original Accessory Kit (AK) part list. The AK is no longer available but you may use the part list as a reference to order the parts needed. Have in consideration that some of the parts may not be available. The cost of the blueprint and the AK is $152USD.

Please let me know the serial number of the aircraft, the shipping address and your credit card information.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Ricardo.

==============================================

Just as an aside, we have installed camera ports in quite a few aeroplanes over the years. Re-directing hydraulic lines or cable runs and skin doublers (and even triplers and quadrafoils) is normal. It is not terribly expensive and if properly done there is no reason to damage the hull. When sealed top and bottom there should be nothing in the appearance or behaviour of the aircraft to even suggest that it is there. Other than the slightly thicker skin of course.

Naturally I am talking about a simple port. If you go to a hatch with retractable doors or a pressure hull with a large optically flat glass plate then it is a whole different ball game. The most time consuming part of the mod. is the design and stress analysis but given the blueprints of a previous installation that is usually unnecessary so I am greatly appreciative of the reply from Cessna.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Rob.
Unread 07-21-11, 09:46 PM

patrolpilot3r2 is on a distinguished road
N8314g

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;820
Dave,

14G is currently in Crowley, LA (3R2). Owned by A.J. Aviation.

David
N8314G has been totaled. There was an accident where a utility trailer backed into the airplane b/c the accelerator got stuck on the truck that was backing the utility trailer.

patrolpilot3r2@aol.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: