Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 11-28-10, 03:47 PM

DrDave is on a distinguished road
Auxiliary fuel pumps

Greetings:

I am having an issue with a small drip coming from the front aux. pump. Does anyone know if there are seal kits for these? It appears that there are some o-rings that are leaking.

The bird is a '67 turbo model

Thank you.

Dave
Unread 11-28-10, 05:35 PM

K337A is on a distinguished road
Dr. Dave- Prepare yourself for the fleecing. Here is some info that could help. The Weldon Pump is a very nice unit. Unfortunately with the FAA's wisdom it isn't stc'ed for your A/C. Spoke to the Weldon people about this subject. They start laughing when the question is asked . Why is this pump only STC for the E thru H models. The pumps mount in a different place but they are the same pump. The FAA would not STC it for the early planes. So Dr. you now become a prime candidate for a fleecing by the rebuilders. The seal kit itself is in excess of $350.00. Then you get to pay the rebuilders price for a rebuild. Good luck Dr. Dave.

Weldon Pump-Yours is the 18000-B in Weldons pump which crosses to a (Dukes/Fleecing 4140-00-15)- http://www.2aps.com/Fuel%20Pumps.htm

STC- http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...A?OpenDocument

Fleecer- http://www.mcssl.com/store/cjaviatio...140-00-15-pump
Unread 11-29-10, 12:23 PM
Tony

This is interesting. In the last 2 years I've purchased 4 of the 4140-00-15 pumps and paid less than 700.00 exchange for each of them directly from Cessna.

I just spoke to the local Cessna dealer and gave them the part #1426033-3 (4140-00-15) for pricing. They told me this pump is no longer available and the part number is superseded to 18000B. The pump they sell is a new Rapco pump, no exchange required.

If Cessna is supplying Weldon pumps as a replacement for the Dukes pumps then no STC is required.

If I was going to buy one of these pumps I would do a bit more research to confirm what I have just stated.
Unread 11-29-10, 09:46 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
You could always manufacture your own parts (as specified by the FARs). The leaking pump most likely only requires a few new o-rings and most importantly a new diaphragm which is allowing the leak to occur. The leaking fuel is a safety mechanism so it will not reach the electrical part of the pump. Operating it while leaking is extremely dangerous.
Unread 11-29-10, 10:51 PM

Thank you to everyone that has replied so far. What I have learned about this so far is a standard line of no more IRAN's. Everyone is pushing overhaul. I finally called Dukes. Once I got past the receptionist the tech/salesman told me I could simply buy a repair kit to fix the leaking pump. I thought I was in business. These hopes were quickly dashed as she told me the "kit" was $695.

I am leaning toward the suggestions of "Skymaster337B." I will keep you updated as to the disposition of my leak.

Dave
Unread 11-29-10, 10:58 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Here is another qualified source for pumps. Talk to Dave, I just got an exchange pump and throttle body from them. They seem very knowable in this area.

http://www.aircraftcarbs.com/

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 11-29-10, 11:29 PM

K337A is on a distinguished road
I find this interesting also. Maybe Cessna doesn't pay attention to what is PMA'ed on their own old manufactured planes these days? It's in black and white on the PMA authorization from the Cleveland FSDO. C337E- C337H including the T models. If there is a waiver floating around or a service bulletin which supplements the Weldon for Dukes pump for the C337A-C337D plus the turbo's for the applicable years I would like a copy. I would like to see anything from Cessna or the FAA that says you can sub a Weldon 18000-B for a Dukes 4140-00-00-15 on a C337A thru C337D plus the early Turbo's. I know your pain Dr. It's the reason Van's Aircraft company has sold 6000 plus aircraft kits. NAPA hasn't been able to corner the fleecing market with the competition that is out there along with the FAA BS authorization for a PMA'ed part. Don't even think about R/R your engine control cables. Cessna produces those from a very, very, very rare compound. I believe the proper designation is "yourscrewedobtanium".
Unread 11-30-10, 01:17 AM

hharney:

Thanks. I will look into them as well.

K337A:

Not to hijack my own thread, but we removed the rear cowl flap cable last night. It was frozen. We pulled the cable out and I put a piece of shrink tubing on one end. I shrank it to the barrel sleeve. We filled the shrink tubing with PB blaster. On the other end we adapted the shop-vac to the cable. While filling one end of the cable with PB blaster the vacuum sucked the sauce through the cable. When we were done the cable moved pretty darn smooth. We did the same thing with the rear throttle cable.

Someday when you have nothing better to do you should look at the Teleflex-Morse online cable catalog. I'd swear I've seen cables that look just like those somewhere.

As an aside, rigging the cowl flaps is not a straight-forward procedure. Now, back to fuel pumps!

Dave

Last edited by DrDave : 11-30-10 at 01:28 AM.
Unread 12-01-10, 02:58 AM

After a thorough inspection of the offending pump I believe it is time to spend the $$ and get the pump replaced. It appears that someone has been in the pump before doing a homemade repair on the some stripped threads.

The pump seal is leaking. I cannot see how to separate the end piece to replace the o-ring. I have no record of when they were overhauled last.

Time to get them fixed and move on to the next items.

Dave
Unread 12-02-10, 07:09 PM

In bringing this thread to a close I ordered a Weldon pump today. I bought it from Ametek for $900. Nice people to send money to. 800-835-2961

Dave