Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-22-05, 06:35 PM

jcthomas is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Janitrol Heater and Kelly Aviation

Hi!

Well, I am not sure where to start with this one, but here I go. Back in September of 2004, my heater for my T337D (1969) needed updated. I opted to go with a new one from aircraft Spruce with the ceramic coat tube, which at the time did not need to meet any ADs.

I ordered the correct unit with my serial number and it arrived. Unfortuantely, it did not have the same dimmensions as my original heater. After conversations with Kelly Aero ( the builder of these heaters), they discovered the problem was their mistake. Kelly thought that all Turbos, including the Ps' used the same kind of heater.

So, they said it would only be a few weeks and they would get the correct drawings from Cessna and build the correct one and ship it to me.

I will not go into all of the bull that they gave me over this unit, but know this. 16 months later I am still waiting for the unit to be shipped. I was foolish enough to believe every bump in the road to get the new heater.

Finally on Monday, even after Aircraft Spruce they would get something done (And they had $1600.00 of my money all of this time), and they found they couldn't do any more than me, I cancelled.

Unbeknownst to me, I discovered CD on the internet. They make the heater and will ship me a new one, which does not have any ADs', within 3 days.

I am so angry, but I sure hope any of you who own turbos prior to 1972 do not have to go through the same thing I did. I am just glad to get the new heater, and a better one to boot.

You all have a great Holiday time and keep those engines motoring you around the country.

John
Unread 12-22-05, 08:06 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Oh, the agony of dealing with people who won't tell you the truth. However, to help us all, who is CD, and where can we find them?
Thanks
Unread 12-23-05, 10:36 AM

jcthomas is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Hi!

the company is CD. there site is http://www.aircraftheater.com/. They are very nice people. I was surprised by the information they shared with me.

They told me if an aircraft has a heater out of production, they can draw up the plans and have it FAA approved within 30 days. Fortuanately for us, they still mfg. our heaters.

since I have a small pilot shop business and former flight school owner, I supposedly got a decent discount on the heater.

John
Unread 12-23-05, 02:37 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
C&D

Larry, C&D are located inW.W. Michigan only a stone throw from you field.

Jerry
Unread 12-23-05, 02:43 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
I just noticed that, Jerry.
maybe they'd like to come to the next meeting???
With their demo equipment??
Unread 12-23-05, 05:57 PM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought a C&D heater last year. I was tired of having to go through the AD test each year.

When the new heater arrived, it did not fit. Even though the combustion chamber was dimensionally the same as the original, all of the peripherals (blower, igniter, drains, connector terminals) were configured differently.

I called them to try and figure out what to do. They said"don't do anything...we'll take care of it". The next day, the owner flew out to my airport to install the heater!! Now as it turned out, he couldn't get it to fit either, but he at least could see for himself what was wrong. He took the heater back, made some modifications, and returned it to me within a week.

Even with the mods, it still wouldn't quite fit. Apparently, the flange that the intake bolts to was incorrectly positoned, and the bolt holes were about 15 degrees out of alignment. I sent it back again.

Once more, C&D came back out, and installed the heater for me. They were very apologetic about the screwups, and even gave me a new fuel pump to make up for my troubles.

I give them an A+ for customer service. And by the way, the new heater works great, too.

Mark