Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 04-25-09, 03:10 PM

jhickam is an unknown quantity at this point
Door opening inflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Martin View Post
I'm not a stickler for regulations, but don't you always carry the POH on board? It's my resource if I get into an emergency situation. Wouldn't even go aroud the pattern without it.

Speaking of emergencies, I had a mini one yesterday. Door popped open in flight. Completely open. I have the '73 with the air-stair doors, and the upper part popped open all the way up. I was returning from the Bahamas alone, already over land, about 5 miles from (and already talking to) the airport. Aside from being startled, had only minor effect on drag and airplane dynamics. Landed without incident or undue efforts -- just a lot of noise. And, as in so many instances, it was my fault, pilot error: I had failed to lock the door.

Folks, vibration will open your door. Make sure you push the lock button down.

Incidentally, one hour earlier, on the outbound flight, had 3 more adults and two toddlers in the flight. None would have been sucked out the window, but I would have had some very scared passengers, especially if it had happened over water.

Ernie
I had the door on my 73 337G open inflight about a year ago. No damage but like you said alot of noise. I had my mechanic add shims to the doors jam where the door latches in so the door shuts and latches much tighter. Over the years I had noticed the door was getting easier to open with time. I always locked the door I thought untill it popped open. The moral of the story LOCK THE DOORS WHILE IN FLIGHT IN ANY AIRCRAFT !!!!!!