Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-28-22, 03:14 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Option 4 would be my preference.

One thing to consider with your insurance company - does having multi-engine experience reduce your overall insurance cost over time? If you get your traditional multi, then all time logged in the Skymaster is multi-engine time. if not, it is CLT, and not sure if the underwriters even categorize that.

This may be your last airplane - but if not, it is good to have multi-engine experience in the log book for the insurance company.

Jeff
Unread 01-29-22, 02:20 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
My recommendation, as A CFI, would be to do the training in a traditional ME and preferably at an operation with a good relationship with a DPE. I wouldn’t want to put my engines and starters through the cycles that are needed during the initial training. DPEs are getting very tough to schedule, but a good school tends to have several that they work with and will have little problems scheduling.

I’m not sure what the DPEs need, but a CFI will need to meet the requirements of 61.195(f). That is the CFI will need 5 hours of flight time in the C337 before dual can be given. You might also check with your underwriter concerning the CFI’s qualifications. I just completed training for a 200 hour pilot that went from the C182 he learned to fly in, to a C210. The policy would not cover the training unless the CFI had 500 hours in a C210.
Unread 02-12-22, 06:37 PM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
I like Tom's suggestion. I am in the same situation as you are (right down to the model year) and will be doing what he did as soon as it's signed off and ready to go up. For the same reasons he cited. Something to note however is that you will have to find a DPE with at least 5 hours in type. In my case I had to reach out to someone locally and offer to let them fly my plane to get those hours. They're then going to turn around and test me in that same plane. I also think that if Jerry's comments as linked herein are true then you need to think hard about whether you'll ever be flying a conventional twin. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever, but I think you better be real sure about whether that's true for your situation as well. Insurance, as several of my posts have evidenced, is quickly becoming the single greatest obstacle to aircraft ownership... especially twins.