Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 03-17-06, 09:03 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
337H Wind Shield

I need a new windshield in my 337H. Who has the best price.
Unread 03-17-06, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Dale, you're asking the wrong question. On the matter of a windshield, price is far less important than fit, quality of instructions and phone support if you get in trouble. I did a Search of this forum for the word "windshield", got several hits, and went to a thread called "Windshield R/R". There I found this old posting of mine:

"My mechanic and I installed an LP Aeroplastics windshield in my old 1969 337D about 3 years ago. Neither of us had ever done it before. It was straightforward but not easy. The instructions that came with the windshield guided us well, but told us to expect certain difficulties, especially in terms of getting it fully into the groove into which it goes, and gave us a phone number to call if we had the slightest trouble. Well, we did encounter the difficulty, we called and got incredibly personal and useful help over the phone. Specifically, we had been about to coat the windshield edges with something (can't remember what) to help it slide into the groove, and the LP guy said NO!, that had we done that we would never have been able to achieve a good seal. Bottom line, have an experienced person do it, or follow instructions to the letter and call LP for even the slightest thing."

By the way, a good seal is critical because your avionics stack is under the bottom lip of the windshield.

Ernie
Unread 03-18-06, 09:19 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
We also put an LP Areoplastics windshield in back in 1992 or 3. They were also great then. Earlier this year we replaced the remainder of the windows. It was an easy decision to choose the same company again.
Unread 03-27-06, 02:26 PM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
337H windshield

I was talking to my mechanic on cost to replace the windshield with LP Aeroplastics. He said the windshield is around $365 in clear. He said you have to take out some instruments and the labor will be over $1200 to do the job. Is this in line with most shops. It is O & N in Pennsylvania. Dale Campbell
Unread 03-27-06, 06:14 PM

I don't know what a shop would charge to do it. I replaced it myself, with the help of some A&P friends. It was quite a task. Had to drill out lots of rivets. Replaced with flat head screws and fiber locking nuts. Required some repainting. I'm not sure I would do it myself again. It was a real challenge! If I had the money readily available, I'm sure I would pay someone to do it.

I don't specifically remember having to remove any instruments (save the magnetic compass and OAT) to replace it. I'm sure access would be much easier if the panels were removed though. You can get to a large number of the rivet (screw) holes through the radio access panel.

LP Aero was very helpful with instructions and telling me what to expect... i.e., you need a special drill bit to drill the hole for the thermometer. A standard bit frequently will chip or crack the plastic.

The really good news for me is that we had to make very little modification to the windshield in order to make it fit. We had to remove a very small section in the lower right hand corner. It was nearly a perfect fit!

Oh yes, The model is a 337B.

Last edited by stackj : 03-27-06 at 10:04 PM.
Unread 03-27-06, 10:58 PM
Keven

And people hate lawyers . . . .

:-0

Keven
________
Ship sale

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:19 PM.
Unread 03-27-06, 11:12 PM

Sometimes a well deserved hate... What did I do to join your corps?

Tell me, Keven... I can take it!

Is your bird back in the air? (Oh!, I hope so!)
Unread 03-27-06, 11:17 PM

Never mind... I think I have caught the gist.

Hoy, Hoy, Hoy! All.......

If it doesn't fit any other way, think Spanish!
Unread 03-28-06, 10:33 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
That labor amount is in line with what I paid a few years ago...

Kevin
Unread 03-28-06, 08:52 PM
Keven

Labor Rate

1. Jim: How could anyone hate you? You're neither a lawyer nor an airframe mech . . . err, uhh, oops, I guess folks can hate you after all! At least you're not married to a fed . . . okay, nevermind, you may as well be a lawyer too! :-)

2. Anyone who has done this or got an estimate, what was the hourly shop rate for a $1,200 labor estimate for the glass install?

3. Jim: Bird is running, and I plan on taking it to Sun N Fun next week. Anyone else planning on going? If so, we can start a new thread. Ya know . . . this year they're supposed to have wifi everywhere, so we geeks can stay in touch if we can tap into AC or another power source.

Keven
________
No2 vaporizer

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:19 PM.
Unread 03-29-06, 10:27 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
For me, I think it was about $45 per hour, and much of the work takes two people. It might have been $1000, my memory is not that accurate for this stuff. (If you remember too much, you can't afford the airplane anymore... ;-)

Be glad it is not a P337. The windshield would be like $3000 for just the glass if I recall correctly, and that was 5 years ago... Only place to get one was Cessna I think. But normally aspirated are much less expensive.

Kevin
Unread 03-30-06, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
No instruments need to be taken out (obviously the compass on the windshield center post). The $1200 figure seems way too high. It's true that it's a 2-man job, but the second guy is largely a gopher, helping support the windshield as it's being installed. The perfect arrangement, as others have suggested, is you helping an A&P (desirably one who has done it before, or else a smart guy known for following instructions and doing careful work). At most, it's a 10-hour job (and a guy who's done it before working with you might be able to cut that substantially, maybe by half). So 10 hours at $50 per hour is $500. If you can't help (or the A&P would prefer to use a helper) then $200 for the helper seems reasonable (considering that he's paid less per hour and that he's not needed for all of the 10 hours).

It's been a while since I did it with my A&P. We did it in a day (it was the first time for both of us). But maybe I'm a bit off. Why don't you call LP Aeroplastics? Ask them how long the job should take and how many people are needed. I think their answer will be similar to mine.

Ernie
Unread 07-12-09, 09:58 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
windshield instructions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Martin View Post
Dale, you're asking the wrong question. On the matter of a windshield, price is far less important than fit, quality of instructions and phone support if you get in trouble. I did a Search of this forum for the word "windshield", got several hits, and went to a thread called "Windshield R/R". There I found this old posting of mine:

"My mechanic and I installed an LP Aeroplastics windshield in my old 1969 337D about 3 years ago. Neither of us had ever done it before. It was straightforward but not easy. The instructions that came with the windshield guided us well, but told us to expect certain difficulties, especially in terms of getting it fully into the groove into which it goes, and gave us a phone number to call if we had the slightest trouble. Well, we did encounter the difficulty, we called and got incredibly personal and useful help over the phone. Specifically, we had been about to coat the windshield edges with something (can't remember what) to help it slide into the groove, and the LP guy said NO!, that had we done that we would never have been able to achieve a good seal. Bottom line, have an experienced person do it, or follow instructions to the letter and call LP for even the slightest thing."

By the way, a good seal is critical because your avionics stack is under the bottom lip of the windshield.

Ernie
Ernie,
Do you recall any of the hints that LP Aero gave you? We tried calling them Fri for some hints, but the two guys who give out help were both off, and we have already been on the project a week. We're going to finish today, but still seeing if there are any hints or tips out there that might ensure success. You can reach me with a replky (easiest because it will show on my phone, which is next to me while working on the plane) at rmorris@agsi.us
________
Jaguar r3

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 12:04 PM.
Unread 07-12-09, 12:36 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
try reading this. It's Herb's account of replacing his windshield

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=2484

Also, here

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...?t=2309&page=3

Last edited by WebMaster : 07-12-09 at 12:40 PM.
Unread 07-13-09, 10:13 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry bowdish View Post
try reading this. It's Herb's account of replacing his windshield

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=2484

Also, here

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...?t=2309&page=3
Larry,
I had already read through Herb's post, and found it good info. Just looking for addl info that I thought the LP Aero folks might have given to Ernie.
________
Ivan capelli

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 12:05 PM.