Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-24-04, 09:34 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Gear Problem

Well I have gear problem again. I flew up state New York and gear failed again. I selected gear down, gear came down, doors did not close, therefore no green light. I selected gear up, gear did not move. No popped circuit breakers. So I got on the handle after selecting gear back down, to close doors and get pressure on gear down and got a light. When on ground I pumped gear doors open than turned on main switch but door did not close. I pumped again to make sure I still had good hard pressure on gear. I had the mechanic at that field check voltage at pump motor. We had 24 volts, but motor did not run. So I took off for home with gear down. After airbourne I pumped doors closed. Thank god I had the large doors removed 4 years ago, so I did not have the big door drag. I flew home with gear down. Slow ride. I checked pressure on gear by pumping again before landing still had hard pressure on handle. Will take to my regular mechanic on Monday. I hope it is a lost of ground circuit not a bad motor. I left a message for Don N. to get a cost on new motor.
Unread 10-25-04, 09:30 AM

Pete Somers is an unknown quantity at this point
Dale

If you have 28 volts at the gear motor and the ground is ok on the other side, no reason why the motor should not run, there is a diode across the motor, but i don't think this will be a problem.

Peter
Unread 10-25-04, 09:34 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Dale,

I have seen problems where the gear would operate with 28 volts, but not 24. So 24 volts at the motor may not be enough. I am not an A&P, so can't advise you really, but I know that we hooked up an alternate 28 volt power source and everything worked fine...

Kevin
Unread 10-26-04, 08:22 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Gear Problem Solved

Well guys,
If you have a power pack on your G or H 337with about 2600 hours, you better remove motor and check your motor brushes. We pulled the motor to find brushes totally worn out, and one brush holder over heated from arcing and broken. Any one know where I can get brushes and one brush holder. I left a message with Don Nieser, 3 days ago, and he has not answered yet.

Last edited by Dale Campbell : 10-26-04 at 08:25 AM.
Unread 10-27-04, 08:25 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Angry Gear Motor

My mechanic could not find motor brushes or brush holder anywhere except at the rebuilders. None of them would sell us the parts. They all wanted to sell us a rebuilt unit from $500 to $1500 with core return. We had to settle for the $500 one.
Unread 10-27-04, 03:26 PM

Pete Somers is an unknown quantity at this point
Dale

Yes i was just checking that out and found the same.
I know in the passed with similar power packs we have had to service exchange them.
However i will persist as someone built these motors in that case someone must have parts.

Let you know how i get on.

Peter
Unread 10-28-04, 05:39 AM

rwenner is an unknown quantity at this point
Dale,

Try Don Neiser again after 10/29/04 he has been on a reunion vacation with o2 Nam drivers
Unread 10-28-04, 12:22 PM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
You should be able to find out who made the motors. I remember GMAS giving us an exercise to go to a web site and look up all the info on the skymaster and the manufacturer of the parts put in them and the approvals issued. My computor has crashed since then. Does anyone else remember this and how to do it???

Frank
Unread 10-28-04, 01:33 PM
Owner 337H N337DC

Smile Gear Motor

I bit the bullet and got the $500 motor over night shipping. Put it in and all is ok again. Thank you all for your efforts. Dale