Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 05-21-11, 03:10 AM

ConwayB is an unknown quantity at this point
Home grown maintenance solution... will it work?

Hello all,

I am trying to come up with a cost effective, simple and reliable system to do the following:

1. Ensure I never have a flat tyre (or tire as you guys spell it);
2. Ensure I never have a flat battery;
3. Ensure I have emergency back up power and light.

I anticipate doing work in the outback and other remote places with little or no maintenance support... so I need to be self-sufficient and after having a recurring slow leak in a tyre and going through four foot pumps that allegedly could pump up to 60psi but, in actuality, couldn't, I needed a more reliable solution... so this is what I've come up with and if anyone out there can see a problem with it, please let me know.

Problem 1 - Tyres. I think that a good quality air compressor capable of 150psi would be handy to have for when I turn up at the airport and the tyre looks a little flat. But, most compressors are either 240 VAC (in Australia) from mains or 12VDC. A good compressor that runs off the battery doesn't necessarily cope with the Cessna 24 V battery. Hmmm. Keep thinking.

Problem 2 - Battery. I don't want to be caught with a flat battery. Trickle charging overnight is not practical at all locations (eg out in the bush) Carrying a spare battery may be a solution... but I would have to ensure I had the right Cessna plug and cables to do a jump start as well.

Solution? - Purchase a KwikStart 6290 variable output (12VDC or 24VDC) dual battery system with emergency light and jumper cables, a 12V air compressor and a 'plug and go' adaptor from aircraft spruce. Keep the Kwikstart nearby when operating from home base or take it with me if operating away. Use the 12VDC output to run the compressor if I have a flat tyre. If I have a flat battery, plug in the 'plug and go' adaptor and use the 24VDC output to start the aircraft. (Then recharge the Kwikstart when able to).

My questions are:

1. Does anyone see any problems with this?
2. Has anyone had any bad experiences with the Kwikstart 6290?
3. Has anyone had any bad experiences with the 'plug and go' adaptor on the Cessna O-2/337?

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Conway

O-2A Australia