Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 07-12-16, 02:37 AM

AP AVM is on a distinguished road
Total hours on the airframe

Is there a way to know if your aircraft's airframe is high time due to high hours on it Vs low time airframe since new. At what number of hours does airframe becomes high time airframe?

I just found out that my 67 C337B AP AVM was at 9000 total flying hours when it was sold back in 1999 with low engine and prop hours. How would it be classified as in terms of total airframe hours on it since new?
Unread 07-14-16, 07:54 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
There is no classification or airframe limitation in the US for Skymasters. I would consider a 9k hour Skymaster "High Time" as most average today about 3500 hours. The wing inspection AD is due at 5k for normal use airplanes and repetitive inspections thereafter. You should see this in the logs. There are only a handful of Skymasters over 10k hours in the US. SOAPA did a survey a few years back, about the time the SID's were developed and asked owners about the time on their birds. Should be posted somewhere in the message board. I'll re-post for those that missed it.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 07-19-16, 01:13 PM

AP AVM is on a distinguished road
Thanks Harb for getting back. I did some Google searching on this and you are right it states that 10K hours on a airframe in US is considered as high time airframe but then if aircraft goes through "C check" it's life can be extended to another 10K hours. I'm sure there are other C337s flying in great condition with over 10K.
So in case of AVM, she was high time airframe at 9K hours when she was bought by Cham and shipped to Canada back in 1999.