Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-25-02, 06:51 PM

atsiii is an unknown quantity at this point
Question max gear down speed

I own a 1969 T337D. The POH states the gear operation speed as 140mph. But once the gear is down and locked, I cannot find a max gear extended speed. Can anyone help?
Unread 10-25-02, 10:31 PM

Ed Coffman is an unknown quantity at this point
For the skymaster Vle or Max Landing gear extended speed is the same as Vne Never exceed speed.

Ed Coffman
________
Volcano digital vaporizer

Last edited by Ed Coffman : 02-18-11 at 08:59 AM.
Unread 10-26-02, 01:42 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I am not where I can get to my books, but is that true for pre-1973 Skymasters? I know that Vle and Vne are the same for 1973+, but I vaguely remember a lower speed restriction on my 1965...

Kevin
Unread 10-26-02, 09:01 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
gear down speed

Kevin

If it is not placarded or published then it would be Vne. At least it is high enough you don't really need to worry. <G>

What is NEW at AOPA ? Buy anything ? new Carbonaero ? New LED flashlight <G>.

Bob
Unread 10-27-02, 03:44 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Huh?

Atsiii,

I think these guys got caught up in there "Vle" and "Vne" but never really did clarify things for you... Hey you guys, turn off that stupid tube, will ya? You ever look at the hinges on those clam-buckets hanging out the back? On the P-models, 140 Knots is the absolute MAXIMUM indicated airspeed those puppies can be cycled, but it would he a whole lot easier on the machine and the metal if you cycled the gear at a lower speed. But if you want to rip the hinges off, go right ahead and run everything to the MAX. But better to error on the side of caution.

Once the gear on the Skymaster is extended, THEN you can run it up to Vne in calm air... but why push it and stress the bird? I've always found that it's better to be in the lower end of the yellow, than on the upper end near red.

Also, if the gear is down and you need to suck it up... better be below 140 KIAS, or surprise, surprise, you'll come home with bent metal.

Now, what was that Vfe.....hhhmmmmm

SkyKing
Unread 10-27-02, 04:52 PM
Keven

Atsii,

I own a 66 337A, and my POH also says that the max gear extend speed is 140 mph. On a couple of occasions, I was unable to retract the gear, and had to make some short trips with it down and doors closed. Frankly, I could never get much over 140 mph with gear down.

Now . . . I don't have a powerful and fancy T model like yours , but I never had to worry about pushing the yellow with extended gear.

Are you asking because you want / need to do it, or just pure curiosity? If you have done it, could you get much more speed above 140?

Keven
________
WENDIE 99

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 04:55 PM.