Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-13-03, 01:46 PM

RRossner is an unknown quantity at this point
Skymasters certified for Known Icing conditions

I have a question pertaining to fully booted Pressurized 337's. Apparently a fully booted airplane with the heated windshield plate is still not officially certified for flight into "known Icing".

My suspicions are probably because the airplane is not equipped with a super heated pitot, fuel vents, and stall warning systems but I’m not sure.

Does anyone know for sure why this is?

Rick Rossner
President/CEO
Tule River Aero-Industries
rick@tuleriveraero.com
Unread 02-13-03, 02:04 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Actually, the airplane does have heated pitot and stall warning, but not heated fuel vents (or at least mine does not). Rumor has it that Cessna started the process of known ice cert on P337s, but did not finish it - and here is where the rumor part really starts - "because of ice accumulating on the vertical tail due to the vortex from the rear prop". Perhaps someone else who visits this site will have better data. Anyway, many of us have experienced unexpected icing conditions in our booted airplanes, and generally I have heard good reports about the aircraft's performance in icing conditions. Obviously, this paragraph should not be interpreted as recommending flight in known icing conditions in an unapproved airplane, which is against FAA regulations.

Kevin
Unread 02-13-03, 09:37 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re icing

The P210 is certified and cessna decided that it (337) wasn't really worth certifying due to the sales numbers. It was tested and there are reports that there was no real problems associated with ice. Potential weak spot was icing on a failed rear engine prop.

It has heated pitot, hot plate, heated front propr, heated stall warning and an ice light. I have had no real problems with ice and no adverse effects from moderate accumulation.

Check the riley sight as I think there may be some history. If you really NEED to know I might find some archive material.
Unread 02-13-03, 11:48 PM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a link to the info Bob Cook referred to:

http://www.superskyrocket.com/pages/...istory_1_1.htm
Unread 02-15-03, 01:38 AM

RRossner is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Skymasters certified for Known Icing conditions

Thanks for the info guys. It's kind of a shame to have a fully equipped and booted airplane and it still not be legally certified for icing conditions.

Mind you, I don't advocate intentional flight into known icing conditions under normal operating conditions but it is nice to have that flexibility to get out of those conditions if you ever run across them.

Rick Rossner
President/CEO
Tule River Aero-Industries
rick@tuleriveraero.com
Unread 02-15-03, 09:02 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
icing

Rob

I really do not believe it is an issue. certainly not in the P version with boots.

Any piston aircraft with deicing is still only has marginal protection certified or not. In fact, many turboprops have been incapacitated by ice in recent years.

I have found lots of ice where it has never been forcast but rarely have I found moderate to severe (never have) without knowing already the potential strongest existed prior to departure. I would be more conscerned about the pilot and his experience rather than the hardware.

bob