Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-23-11, 10:08 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Prop Governor

When do you overhaul or replace the prop governor? At engine TBO? When you overhaul the prop? Has anyone ever had the governor overhauled or replaced?

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 02-23-11, 10:35 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hi Herb,

I replaced both my prop governors about 2 or 3 years ago. My old ones were original and seemed to work fine and had been overhauled in 1988 when the factory remans were installed. My mechanic decided that 20 years was long enough to not have any service.

Well, I found out at that time that overhaul was not an option due to inability to get parts. The same opinion was echoed by two shops so I bit the bullet and purchased two brand new governors from McCauley at $2500 per governor (yes, $5000 bucks). My new governors did not support the prop sync system so that was removed from the airplane at that time. I never liked that system anyway and have not missed it at all. The governors that support the prop sync were an option but at an even higher cost. That system wasn't worth one penny to me so that part of the decision was easy. The new governors still look brand new and have about 250 hours on them now and work fine.

If I recall correctly, the old governors, according to my mechanic, had on occasion malfunctioned in a way that overloaded the hub with extremely high oil pressure and caused the hub to fail. This never happened to me but apparently it has happened somewhere according to him.

Anyway, I'm not one to argue and frankly I find it difficult to justify to keep 20+ year old parts as important as the prop governors in service if my mechanic says its time. So, the old ones are sitting in my closet downstairs and my hourly cost went up $50/hour for my 100 hours that year. So be it.

Good luck!

Ed
Unread 02-24-11, 12:50 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
The service manual says that the governor "should" be overhauled when the engine is overhauled...but also says that it is a "judgement" call to overhaul the governors anytime before that. And that you can get an overhaul manual from Cessna.

I can't imagine what else a governor overhaul would entail, besides new o-rings and internal springs. Has anyone seen a Cessna governor overhaul manual?

Last edited by Skymaster337B : 02-25-11 at 12:34 AM.
Unread 02-25-11, 07:39 AM
Forum Administrator

My governors are Woodward. Is this what you had Ed? No parts, my mechanic is checking with a couple shops (H&S in Pontiac) so I will post the current availability for those when I hear from him.

I cannot find any indication in my logs where the rear was OH when the engine was replaced. I have a pin that is pressed into the lever that attaches to the shaft spring and the pin is loose. I think it's time for some attention.

Hope to see you both in Dayton

Unread 02-25-11, 10:36 AM

Herb my old governors are McCauley model numbers CFS310D1B/T1. Aircraft Propeller in Wheeling, IL located at KPWK and Aircraft Systems located in KRFD were the two shops that both painted the sad picture as far as any overhaul.

Ed
Unread 02-25-11, 12:57 PM
Forum Administrator

That is interesting Ed, H&S just quoted me $850 for Woodward style and $975 for McCauley. They said that parts are no problem for either brand. They suggest overhaul at least every 1000 hours. Governors are not required at engine change or rebuild but some do the duty then. At any rate I think I will be overhauling mine with them.

Unread 02-25-11, 01:07 PM

That's great news Herb. I suppose shops are just like people. Some are willing to make the effort and others are not when it comes to keeping old parts serviceable. If you think of it, mention my exact model number to your shop and see what they say. I'm just curious. I have very little knowledge on how all this maintenance stuff works so I am at the mercy of the people who sign the log books. So I guess that means I have to do what they say. If they say they are junk, I have know way to dispute that other then to get another opinion. Sometimes it is just easier to write the damn check so I can get my airplane flying again then trying to fine someone willing to make the old parts flyable. Let me know how this all finally ends up for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all goes the way it appears to be. Those are outstanding quotes. Good Luck!

Ed
Unread 02-26-11, 08:39 PM
Forum Administrator

Ed
According to H&S, McCauley parts are no problem. H&S said that McCauley is really good about supporting their products. I will let you know how it goes, I plan to pull the rear at annual (next month) and send it in. I think they said the turn around time is about 5 days.

Unread 02-28-11, 11:29 AM

Thanks Herb.... I'm curious why I can't get the same service in Chicago that you can get in Michigan. Both shops said mine were junk. Hmmm.... Keep me posted.

Thanks Ed
Unread 03-31-11, 02:03 PM
Forum Administrator

Here is an update on the governor. Just got is back yesterday, so that was 6 business days turnaround from pulling the unit off, shipping, receiving and install. Again, mine is a Woodward model. Total cost was $1,080.00 for complete overhaul, new gasket and shipping. Should be test flying tomorrow after a gear swing.

Unread 03-31-11, 10:45 PM

That's great Herb. Thanks for the update. I assume you did both governors for $1080 per governor?

Ed
Unread 03-31-11, 10:47 PM
Forum Administrator

Just the rear this year and will probably do the front in the fall / winter. Got a spread out those expenses to save money for fuel.

Unread 03-31-11, 10:55 PM

Good....keep her flying! )